cartech
cartech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  master tech automotive shop owner and tech 25 years

How do i remove the spare tire from a 05 buick rendezvous?

Customer Question

how do i remove the spare tire from a 05 buick rendezvous?
Category: Buick
Expert:  cartech replied 4 years ago.
Removing the Spare Tire and Tools
Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: B3

The equipment you will need is located in the storage compartment on the passenger's side, at the rear of the vehicle.

1. Open the jack storage compartment by lifting up the tab and pulling the cover off.

Object Number: 806348  Size: B3

Jack

Wing Bolt

Jacking Instructions

Folding Wrench

Wing Nut

J-Hook

2. Remove the jack and jacking tools by turning the wing bolt counterclockwise.

Lift up slightly on the jack to remove it from the bracket. Then take it out of the storage compartment.

3. Separate the jack and remove the folding wrench from the jack.

Object Number: 822408  Size: B3

The tools you will be using include the jack (A), folding wrench (B), wing nut (C), and J-hook (D).

Removing the Spare Tire (Vehicles without a Rear Convenience Center)

The compact spare tire is located under the vehicle, behind the rear bumper. Use the spare tire hoist to raise, lower and store the compact spare tire. See Compact Spare Tire for more information about the compact spare.

Object Number: 806350  Size: B3

1. Hoist Shaft

2. Folding Wrench

3. Hoist Assembly

4. Retainer

5. Compact Spare Tire

1. Flip the rear cargo area carpet cut out to expose the hoist shaft.
  2. Attach the folding wrench into the hoist shaft.
  3. Turn the folding wrench counterclockwise to lower the spare tire to the ground. Continue turning the wrench until the spare tire can be pulled out from under the vehicle.
    Object Number: 806433  Size: B3

4. Tilt the retainer and slip it through the wheel opening to remove the spare tire from the cable.
  5. Turn the wrench clockwise to raise the cable back up after removing the spare tire.

Do not store a full-size or a flat road tire under the vehicle. See Storing a Flat or Spare Tire and Tools .

To continue changing the flat tire, see Removing the Flat Tire and Installing the Spare Tire .

Object Number: 806384  Size: B3

If the spare tire will not lower, the secondary latch may be engaged causing the tire not to lower.

Do the following to check the cable:

1. Check under the vehicle to see if the cable is visible.
  2. If it is not visible, see Secondary Latch System .

If it is visible, first try to tighten the cable by turning the folding wrench clockwise until you hear two clicks or feel it skip twice. You cannot over-tighten the cable.

3. Loosen the cable by turning the wrench counterclockwise three or four turns.
  4. If the spare tire has not lowered, tighten the cable all the way and then loosen it at least two times.

If the spare tire did lower to the ground, continue with Step 4 under "Removing the Spare Tire (Vehicles without the Rear Convenience Center)" listed previously.

5. If you still cannot lower the spare tire to the ground, see Secondary Latch System .

Removing the Spare Tire (Vehicles with a Rear Convenience Center)

The compact spare tire is located under the vehicle, ahead of the rear bumper. See Compact Spare Tire for more information about the compact spare.

Object Number: 806553  Size: B3

1. Rear Convenience Center

2. Folding Wrench

3. Storage Compartment Cap Hole

4. Hoist Shaft

5. Compact Spare Tire

6. Retainer

7. Hoist Shaft Assembly

1. Open the storage compartment door of the convenience center that is nearest the liftgate and remove the cap on the bottom of the storage compartment.
  2. Flip the cut out carpet that is located through the hole of the storage compartment.
  3. Attach the folding wrench into the hoist shaft.
  4. Turn the folding wrench counterclockwise to lower the spare tire to the ground. Continue turning the wrench until the spare tire can be pulled out from under the vehicle.
    Object Number: 806433  Size: B3

5. Tilt the retainer and slip it through the wheel opening to remove the spare tire from the cable.
  6. Turn the wrench clockwise to raise the cable back up after removing the spare tire.

Object Number: 806384  Size: B3

Do the following to check the cable:

If the spare tire did lower to the ground, continue with Step 5 under "Removing the Spare Tire (Vehicles with the Rear Convenience Center)" listed previously.

5. If you still cannot lower the spare tire to the ground, see Secondary Latch System