Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Buick Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

1998 Buick Regal: The cables in the drivers side window

I drive a 1998 Buick Regal GS. The cables in the driver's side window have become bound up in the railing or the railing is getting into the cables. Either way my window will not work. I hit the down button and the window made this weird crunching sound and did the hurky-jerk, and and slipped into the door never to be heard from again. I tried the button a couple of times but stopped, because I don't want to burn the motor up. Is there anything I can do to fix it myself? I've already replaced this window motor twice on this car. I would like to not have to do again since it costs $600 a pop. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks
P.S. It's supposed to rain tonight, so I do need an answer today.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 6 years ago.
If the regulator is crunching, the regulator is bad. You can purchase a new regulator with a lifetime warranty at Orielly auto parts for $109 with a lifetime warranty. Please let me know if you have additional questions.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the info, but unfortunately, that's not what I asked. I can find an auto parts store on my own. I need to know how to fix this myself for right now. If I can fix the existing motor and/or cables myself, then great; if not, then I still need to be able to get the window up and closed before it rains tonight.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 6 years ago.
Remove the door panel. You should be able to push the window up by hand. If the cables are preventing the window from moving, cut the cable and then push the window up by hand. You can then keep the window up by cutting a piece of wood the proper length to fit below the window to hold it up, or use a self tapping screw to install a screw through the window regulator track to keep the window from coming back down.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Very cool. Thanks.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 6 years ago.
Please let me know if you need additional info.