Buickfl
Buickfl, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech With L1 30 Years Dealership EXP

Replace the rear disl break pads on 2000 Buick Lesabre Limited?

Customer Question

How do you replace the rear disl break pads on 2000 Buick Lesabre Limited?
Category: Buick
Expert:  Buickfl replied 4 years ago.

Removal Procedure

1. Remove two-thirds of the brake fluid from the master cylinder.
  2. Raise the vehicle and suitably support. Refer to Vehicle Lifting.
  3. Remove the tire and wheel assembly. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation. Important: Do not use a screwdriver or pry bar to compress the caliper piston into the caliper. Any damage to the piston boot could cause corrosive elements to enter the piston sealing area and lead to the piston seizing in the caliper bore. Important: Do not exceed more than 1 mm of piston travel. Damage to the internal adjusting mechanism may result.
  4. Using a large C clamp compress the caliper piston into the caliper bore to gain enough clearance to allow the caliper to pivot off the caliper bracket. Compress the piston until resistance is felt, but no more than 1 mm of piston travel.
  5. Disconnect the park brake cable bracket (2) from the brake caliper (1).
  6. Remove the park brake cable from the cable ]ever.

1. Remove the bottom caliper slide pin.
  2. Pivot the caliper body (6) upward.
  3. Remove the inboard (2) and outboard (3) pads from the anchor bracket (5).
  4. Remove and inspect the pad retainers (1).

Installation Procedure

Important: Inspect the caliper bolt suspension boots for cuts, tears, or deterioration. If damaged, replace the pin boots. Inspect the caliper pin bolts for damage or corrosion. Replace if damaged or corroded. Do not attempt to clean away corrosion. Corrosion is typically caused by damaged pin boots. Inspect the piston boot for deterioration, repair or replace the caliper if damaged. Refer to Brake Caliper Overhaul Rear or Brake Caliper Replacement (Rear).

1. Retract the caliper piston (2) into the caliper bore. Use a spanner type wrench to turn the piston (2) clockwise until it bottoms out fully in the caliper.
  2. Align the cutouts in the caliper piston to the alignment pins on the back of the brake pad.

1. Install the brake pad retainers (1) into the caliper anchor bracket (5).
  2. Install the inboard (2) and outboard (3) brake pads into the caliper anchor bracket.

Important: The caliper piston boot must lay flat. Make sure convolutions are tucked into place.

1. Use a small plastic or wooden tool (1) to lift the inner edge of the boot (2) next to the piston, and press out any trapped air.
  2. Pivot the caliper down over the brake pads and into the anchor bracket.

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.

1. Insert the lower caliper slide pin.
    • Tighten the caliper slide pin to 27 Nm (20 ft. lbs.) .
  1. Install the park brake cable bracket (2) to the brake caliper (1).
  2. Connect the park brake cable to the park brake lever on the caliper (1).
  3. Install the tire and wheel assembly. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation.
  4. Lower the vehicle.
  5. Start the vehicle and apply approximately 778 N (175 lb) of force three times to the brake pedal to seat the brake caliper piston and brake pads.
  6. Refill the brake fluid. Refer to Master Cylinder Reservoir Replacement.
  7. Burnish the pads and rotors. Refer to Burnishing Pads and Rotors.