Daryl
Daryl, Shop Owner, Master Mechanic
Experience:  28 years experience, Master Mechanic
8994801

1999 Buick Century: water leak..coming behind from the timing case

we have a water leak on our 1999 Buick Century. one diagnosis was a water pump the other said it's not the water pump it's coming behind from the timing case. do you have any idea.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Daryl replied 6 years ago.
Both of these are common problems on this engine if the leak is more towards the rear of the engine compartment the problem is most likely the timing chain cover, if the leak is more towards the front of the engine compartment the leak is most likely the water pump.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
how long does it take to fix approximately and is it expensive?
Expert:  Daryl replied 6 years ago.
The timing chain cover takes around 3 - 4 hours and the gasket set is cheap maybe around 35.00 or so, the water pump is easy and usually takes less than a hour and runs around 50.00 for the pump. I usually do both when I do a timing cover since the water pumps on these go bad a lot and it is very easy to change the water pump when the timing cover is off.