Mad Mike
Mad Mike, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 yr Auto Technician with 10 years of GM dealer experience
24127527

2002 Buick Regal: windshield wipers..the park location..pulse

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Buick Regal and the windshield wipers stop in the up position when turned off. I understand the park location is controlled by the pulse board. Can you tell me where that is located?
Category: Buick
Expert:  Mad Mike replied 7 years ago.

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JA.

There are 2 possible causes for this. Either the wiper motor mounting bracket is damaged or the park mechanism has failed. Many times, the small tab on the bracket that the park mechanism is designed to catch when the motor reverses to park, will get bent enough so that the park mechanism cannot catch it anymore..

Object Number: 512040  Size: SH

This picture shows both the tab on the bracket and the park mechanism that should engage it. If you need to bend the tab on the bracket back into place, it is best to re-enforce it. I always put a little bit of a weld on them to hold them, but I think a really good epoxy would work also, as long as it doesn't interfere with the park mechanism.

The wiper motor is under the air inlet grille. You will need to remove the wiper arms and then remove the air inlet grille to access the motor. Procedure calls for a puller to remove the wiper arms, but if you remove the nut, they will come loose when you rock them up and down by grabbing the arm at the end.

Hope this solves the problem. if anything isn't clear, be sure to ask.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So are you saying I don't need to replace the pulse board?
Expert:  Mad Mike replied 7 years ago.

Correct.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
OK. I'll try getting in to it. Thanks.
Expert:  Mad Mike replied 7 years ago.

If you do end up replacing the crank arm, first, operate the motor in the delay mode. When the wipers pause at the bottom, shut off the ignition key.

Then when you install the new crank arm, position it just like in the above picture.

Thanks,