carguyjosh, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified, 16yrs working with buick

Car doesnt want to start when it is cold.

car doesn't want to start when it is cold.
Category: Buick
Expert:  carguyjosh replied 6 years ago.

Do you have a check engine light on? Do you have access to a computer scanner that can show data stream?

Please let me know...Thanks, Carguyjosh

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no we do not. acts like it needs to be choked but it doesn't have a choke. it is fuel injection.

Just by your description, its sounds like the coolant tempature sender to the engine controll computer is not reading properly. If this sensor is stuck at (we'll say 70degrees) the engine computer does not send the correct amount of fuel to the injectors.

Did you say your check engine light was on or not?

What I can have you do it to unplug the coolant temp sensor and try to restart your engine. I it runs better, The sensor is no good. The sensor is located on the top of the engine at the back. It will have 2 wires running to it and screw into a coolant passage...

Please let me know what you find...

Thanks, Josh

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
is it under the mass air flow?

As your looking at the top of the engine, it should be right over the upper intake. I am sending over a diagram to help locate it..The position is 'C'

Thanks, Josh

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I unplugged it and it did not make a difference

Ok, there's one other sensor that I will have you disconnect. Please understand that without a wide array of testing equipment, were kind of shooting for the simple possibilities...

There is an intake air temperature sensor located by the air cleaner housing. Please disconnect this sensor and see if it has any affect on the running. If not, do you know anyone with a scanner, fuel pressure gauge or any other diagnostic equipment. Any friends that are techs?

Thanks, Josh