MPMoore
MPMoore, ASE MASTER W/L1 GM WORLD CLASS TECH
Experience:  GM world class, ASE master tech w/ L1 advanced driveablity, 15yrs experance bumper to bumper
4232346

I have a 2003 Rendezvous 3.4L. The temperature gauge fluctuates.

I have a 2003 Rendezvous 3.4L. The temperature gauge fluctuates. The heater does not blow hot at idle but warms up when the RPM's are higher. Occasionally on cold start we hear a clicking sound that stops after a few minutes. Can you tell me what is wrong?
Category: Buick
Expert:  MPMoore replied 7 years ago.
Sounds like you hav a low coolant level. You need to check the coolant level to make sure that the system is full. The engine on this truck has a common issue of the intake gaskets leaking. You need to check the area at the back of the engine, where the transmission and the engine meet. On the top of this area, check for coolant or coolant stains. If there is coolant there, you will need to replace the intake gaskets.

Let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Found that the coolant is indeed low. I will check for coolant loss at the back of the engine. How expensive is it to change the intake gaskets?

Expert:  MPMoore replied 7 years ago.
To do the repair yourself will run around $150, to have a shop do the repair, around $850.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for your help.
Expert:  MPMoore replied 7 years ago.
Let me know what you find.