carguyjosh, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified, 16yrs working with buick

2002 Buick Century: headlights..lever..low beam..turn signal indicator

I am having an intermitent problem on my 2002 Buick Century with my headlights going out when on high beam. Moving the lever back to low beam brings them back on. Someone suggested that "the multiuse switch on the high beam/turn signal indicator" needs to be replaced. Your thoughts?
Category: Buick
Expert:  carguyjosh replied 6 years ago.

If you move the lever back to the high beam position after going to low to get the lights back on, do the high beams come back on?

Thanks, Carguyjosh

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes; but I have to admit I did not try that until the car was stopped which was a few minutes later.

Just from what your describing, the multi-function switch should take care of all of your problems.. I've seen the same problem on many other vehicles and a new switch assembly took care of it...

Thanks, Josh

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am confused as to what the part may be called by Buick or other auto parts dealers? Is this part of the "turn signal switch for vehicles with cruise control"? I found a whole assembly; arm and all for $101.40 at the part number is XXXXX My confusion centers around two things: 1. is the multfunction switch a part of this; 2. or is it another part altogether?

You can call this switch many different things...Headlight dimmer switch, turn signal switch, multi function switch....

No matter which you call it, its all the same thing...

I just looked at that switch, it is the right part...(thats a great price..)

Thanks, Josh