Roadside Jerry
Roadside Jerry, auto mechanic
Experience:  auto mechanic with over 40 years experience

I have a 2000 buick century that wont start. At first my husband

I have a 2000 buick century that won't start. At first my husband would have to turn the key several times for the car to would start and all the lights would come on and then it would die...we used a machine to see if a code came on but it didn't. My husband is trying to fix it by process of elimination...he has replaced the starter, bypassed the ignition switch and now it starts but stays on for 5 seconds and dies...can you tell me all the possibilities that could be wrong so we can try each one.

Hi! There

Welcome to Just Answers

Has your key got a chip that you can see in it? If so the most likely problem is the key & cyl.. The white wire is bad for breaking. I will try to help you fix your problem. Let me know about the key.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
we got a new key with a chip so it is not son said the white wire is not broken and it is not the cylinder because they bypassed it...I think that is what he said
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
We got a new key with a chip in it. my son said the white wire isn't broken and it isn't the cylinder because they bypassed it...
How did he bypass it the alarm system? Unless you know the oms of the chip. It can not be bypassed by hooking the wires together. You can bypass the starter, but it will just crank and shut off if the oms is not right for the alarm system.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My husband said he doesn't have an alarm system on the car...
Then you do NOT have the chip on the key. OK we need to check some things. Starting running 5 sec. then cuts off, We need to check the fuel pump relay. unplug the fuel pump relay, jump connector slots 30 and 87. Does it stay running?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I went to sleep because of the long wait for answers and it is now morning and my husband is now gone to work..I will have to continue tonight at 6:00 pm do we continue later on..meanwhile I will tell my husband to check this...we do have a chip on the key and it was programmed...healso said as far as he knew he didn't have an alarm on the car....
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My husband is home for lunch so I informed him of your answer,,,he said that he checked the fuel pump and it turns on when the key starts the car but then it dies out...something is shutting off the car

Hi, Lee is not online at this time so I will try to help you get started. You may not have an alarm,but do have a factory anti theft system. Here is te relearn procedure,follow exactly as written,it does take 30 minutes,good luck,Jerry.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Do you think this will solve the problem of the car not starting after everything we have tried...if this works I owe you big time...I just paid off my truck and don't want another car note...we are going to try this before I accept if that is ok...he won't be able to try this until this evening so I will accept tonight

No Problem,the system may just need to be reset. If it starts keep the procedure handy,it may happen again,if so the Passlock system would need to be checked for trouble codes using a factory level scan tool.
Roadside Jerry, auto mechanic
Experience: auto mechanic with over 40 years experience
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Roadside Jerry, I am going to accept because it has been raining in our area and my husband has not had a chance to do this...if I need additional answers I will go in and ask again for another fee...thanks so much and have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and Lee, the other mechanic who was helping me but he was taking too long in responding..thanks for all your help...
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX back to this question if you need more help concerning this problem,regards,Jerry.