GMTechBernard
GMTechBernard, Shop Foreman
Experience:  GM
6758627

2008 buick lacrosse cxl: my steering wheel makes a noise..flushed..hub

I own a 2008 buick lacrosse cxl and my steering wheel makes a noise. I had the intermediate steering shaft changed, which I hear is common. Then they flushed the steering fluid and he said it had a bubble, yesterday they put in a new hub and it still makes that noise. Now all I have to hear the noise is start it up and just put it in drive then hit the gas pedal and the steering makes a urnt sound. Before it was put it in reverse, then drive, and then hit the gas pedal. The car can even sit for 10 minutes and still make the noise, it doesn't have to be left overnigt. It just does it when you first start it up.
Category: Buick
Expert:  GMTechBernard replied 5 years ago.
When they flushed the steering system, did they say what fluid they used? Do you know why the hub was replaced for the steering noise? Are you sure its the steering?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

They didn't say what fluid they used. I'm 90% sure it's the steering, it's definately the front. Here's what they said

Replace right side hub bearing

Air in power steering system

bleed power steering system

They also SAY they found a steering rack leaking. But on my receipt they put customer states steering rack leaking which I never did. When I called a few minutes ago she said they had to write it up that way. They found it I didn't.

I think I am being scammed because I bought this car in January and it had NO leaks and they bled the steering system on November 3, and didn't say there was any leak. Now all of a sudden there is. I changed my oil less than 3 months ago at my fathers gas station and we did a regular check, as usual, and nothing. We always do preventive maintenance, unfortunately my father referred to my dealer since it is under warranty.

OK, I only asked if you were sure it was the steering because low transmission fluid makes a similar noise.

As far as the rack leaking, they are actually quite common on the "W" cars (LaCrosse & Grand Prix). They leak inside the bellows and they leak at the bearing adjuster, I've never seen on '08 start leaking yet, but its the same as previous years, so I'm sure it was only a matter of time.

I asked about the fluid, because some vehicles are prone to steering noise from the pump, and GM has been having dealers put Valvoline Synthetic fluid in the system. So flushing it was the right call, we just don't know what fluid was put back in.

Also, because of the frequency of noises, GM also came out with a new bleeding tool (which every dealer should have been sent one). Its important to also use that tool.

I don't think your being scammed about the rack. As long as they don't try and charge you, then let them do what they think needs done. The scam is when they never fix it, and then try and charge you once its out of warranty. So take it back!!!!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I just checked my sheet from yesterday and they did a fluid check and they checked off that the transmission fluid level was ok. My second guess would have been the transmission.
You may want to start the car and physically check it yourself. I work in a shop full of guys that "check it off" on the sheet without actually checking it (pretty sad, I know). I don't want to destroy any confidence you may have in your shop, because there are alot of good ones out there, but you may want to just double check it to be sure.
GMTechBernard, Shop Foreman
Experience: GM
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I was thinking about doing that. I was over my mothers yesterday and my brother was yelling at me that these people are going to bleed my warranty dry. He really got worked up, all my brothers are in the mechanic business unfornately they don't work for a dealer. I woke up this morning wanting to go for a second opinion, just to verify that there is a leak. I could do that over my father's right? Is there a particular or right brand of transmission fluid I should use?

I so wish it could be this easy, they aren't usually this easy.

Thanks to the "right to repair" act, you can get your car worked on anywhere, but only GM dealers can perform repairs under warranty. You can take your car to your fathers and let him look at it and he can top your fluids off, no problem. The correct fluid is Dexron-VI. Do not use the older Dexron-III