GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Buick Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
10949255

my car, a 2000 Buick LeSabre, has an electric lock on the trunk

my car, a 2000 Buick LeSabre, has an electric lock on the trunk that does not work, and the key doesn't work it either. Is it possible to replace the actual lock mechanism, and will it still work from the driver's seat?
Category: Buick
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 7 years ago.
Welcome. Can you hear the lock actuator trying in the trunk when you do hit the release?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
not sure what you mean by lock actuator.
There is an electrical actuator in the trunk the release the latch. What I am asking is if you hear anything in the trunk area when you hit the trunk release button.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
nothing

OK, the fact that the key will not release it and the electrical does not move means the latch assembly is faulty.

Object Number: 724169  Size: SH

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
what are the numbers on the drawing referring to?
Can I do the replacement of this part myself, or do I need to go to a mechanic, or a body person for this?

#2 is the key cylinder part, 3 is the manual release lever and 1 is the latch assembly itself. If you can get the trunk open then I believe you can replace this yourself. If you cannot get it open then you may need to talk to a shop.

To get the seat out, use the following instructions so you can climb in the trunk from the front.

Removal Procedure

Object Number: 430401  Size: SH

• Push in and up on the front of the rear seat cushion.
  • Lift up and out on the seat cushion.
  • Remove the rear seat cushion from the vehicle.

1. Object Number: 106073  Size: SH

2. Remove the upper trunk trim.
    3. Remove the fasteners and the cable clips from the trunk pass-through release cable, If equipped.
    4. Remove the rear seat cushion.
    5. Remove the center seat belt and outer shoulder belt buckle anchor fasteners.
    6. Lift the center shoulder belt off of the seat back and store on the rear shelf panel.
    7. Using a straight-bladed screwdriver, insert the screwdriver between the top of the seat back and rear of the shelf panel.

8. Object Number: 106076  Size: SH

9. Push down on the screwdriver in order to release the rear seat back retainers.

10. Object Number: 430398  Size: SH

11. Release the 4 retainers and pull the seat back away from the cross car beam.
    12. Position the rear shoulder belts in order to clear the rear seat back.
    13. Pull the seat away from shelf panel far enough to pull the pass-through release cable through the opening.
    14. Remove the rear seat back.

Object Number: 724169  Size: SH

• Disconnect the electrical connectors from the rear compartment lid latch assembly.
  • Remove the latch cable (2) from the lock cylinder.
  • Remove the fastener (3) securing the rear compartment lid interior release handle to the rear compartment lid.
  • Remove the fasteners securing the rear compartment lid latch assembly (1) to the rear compartment lid.
  • Remove the lid latch assembly.