cartech
cartech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  master tech automotive shop owner and tech 25 years
1511099

1994 buick: ign module crank & cam sensors fuel preasure..spec

1994 buick park ave starts but will not keep running no codes have replaced ign module crank & cam sensors fuel preasure stays study & within spec ????
Category: Buick
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 4 years ago.
Welcome. have you checked the ground wires? What is the pressure you observed?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
fuel preasure is 45-47 running or koeo have checked all grounds i can find some times when it wont start again after shuting off the fuel preasure stays study but cycleing the key several times it will start again have tried bupassing fuel pump relay makes no difference as far as startig or preasure reading it takes about 15 minutes after shut off fof fule preasure to start to leah off vehicle onley has 26000 origional miles
OK, try taking the connector off for the MAF at the throttle body. See if it remains running.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
disconecting maf at throttle body made no difference

These older units are not my strongest so I will opt out and send this to a guy I know.

Expert:  cartech replied 4 years ago.
you say it wont stay running does it die as soon as you start it does it die going down the road or does it only do it when you come to a stop
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
most times it dies as soon as started verry seldome can i get it to run long enough to drive down the road but when it does it will die while moving coming to stop has no effect after it stops cranking it does not start it unless i cycle the key 5 or 6 times meanwhile fuel preasure stays constant
Expert:  cartech replied 4 years ago.
get it to die then spray it with starting fluid and see if it fires up without cycleing the key
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes it will start with starting fluid but wont keep running
Expert:  cartech replied 4 years ago.
ok the next step requires a test light do you have one
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes i have test light i also have vom & several other small pieces of test equipment if needed i also have access to snap on scanner if that will help
Expert:  cartech replied 4 years ago.
when it wont start you need to see if it has injector pulse eather with a test light or by monitoring the data in the scanner
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
when it wont start there is no injector pulse if i cycle key there is a pulse it will start then shut off and there is no pulse when i try to restart without turning key off when it does keep running if i increase rpm to about 4000 it starts to miss and i can see the pulse shuting off eventualy pulse will stop & engine shuts off
Expert:  cartech replied 4 years ago.
the pulse is controled by the cam sensor the crank sensor and the ignition moduel then the main computer if you changed the first 3 then all thats left is the computer
cartech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: master tech automotive shop owner and tech 25 years
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i am leaving on a weeks vacation have ordered computer hopefuly will be hear when i return will let you know the results when i return
Expert:  cartech replied 4 years ago.
ok have a nice trip
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
im sorry i didnt get back to you sooner after returning from vacation it was hunting season so i went off on my yearly search for big antlers i recieved a used ecm with the corect service # instaled same it now seems to start better but has a bad miss that was not preasent before i didnt change the prom which was a diferent # XXXXX have I ??? the weather has turned verry cold & working outside i have not yet checked on why it is missing I also didnt realize I should accept so you get paid sorry please let me know if (I should change prom
Expert:  cartech replied 4 years ago.
if the prom is not correct it will need changed i would highly recocmend changing it
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thanks for the reply I will change the prom as soon as i can & get back to you we had 20 inches of snow over night & it is still comeing down i dont know when I will get the car dug out until then have a good holliday Rich
Expert:  cartech replied 4 years ago.
same to you and thanks for using just answer
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I finaly got back to checking my buick i have no pulse on #2 cylender & cruse will not enguage i did change the prom from my origional module i called the co i got the used one from & they are going to send me another one they also said the problem may be caused by my not taking module to buick dealer to be reprogramed and that new one may also need to be re programed is this true i was under the impresion that older ecm's could not be reprogramed ????? Rich
Expert:  cartech replied 4 years ago.
the 94 does not need to be programed the prom has the program in but it is possible that the prom may be bad
cartech, ASE Certified Technician