Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

2002 Buick Century Special Edition: resistor..the fan switch module

Customer Question

2002 Buick Century Special Edition - blower switch does not work in any fan position. Is it possible it's just the resistor? I've been told by my normal mechanic that the fan switch module needs replacement and it will cost around $500 (parts and labor).

The resistor was changed when I lost the low fan speeds earlier and they worked after the replacement but they failed again. Then only the medium-low and high fan speeds worked. Now those speeds just stopped working.

Just checking on his info. Thanks.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Eric replied 7 years ago.

Yes, its possible that the resistor has failed again. If you have a DVOM(digital volt/ohm meter), you can check the resistor yourself. It is located underneath the right side of the dash. Unplug the connector from the resistor, and then check the resistor itself. There should be resistance between each of the terminals on the resistor. If resistance is missing between any of them, then replace the resistor. If resistance is present between each of the terminals, then either the fan switch module is bad or a short/open in the wiring harness.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Does a replacement fan switch module really cost as much as my mechanic states?
Expert:  Eric replied 7 years ago.

Is yours manual ac/heater controls, or automatic(digital controls)?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Manual.
Expert:  Eric replied 7 years ago.

Ok, manual control has a cost to me of $244.95, when you figure in markup to be profitable, shop would charge between $310 and $350 for the part. Labor runs 2 - 2 1/2 hours. If shop charges say $80 per hour(which is national average, but each shop sets hourly labor rate according to their overhead costs), you would be looking at $160 - 200 labor.

So, low end, $470 parts and labor, and high end $550 parts and labor.

His estimate is within those margins

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Outstanding. Nice to know the people you are working with are trustworthy. Trust but verify. Thanks for your help Eric. Very responsive and straightforward. Refreshing.

How does one get involved with Just Answers in their specialty?
Expert:  Eric replied 7 years ago.

Glad to help out. Below is a link that will take you to the page to learn about becoming an expert with JA.

http://www.justanswer.com/expert.aspx

Edited by eric on 11/15/2009 at 2:40 AM EST