joel
joel, GM Dealer Technician
Experience:  18 years plus at same GM Dealer
5217488

computer code p1811 on a 2005 buick rendezvous how do you

Customer Question

computer code p1811 on a 2005 buick rendezvous how do you fix this
Category: Buick
Expert:  joel replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welocome.

This code is described as "Maximum adapts and long shifts"

Basically the transmission has a late shift that it is trying to compensate for.

It gets to a point where it connot compensate enough to get the correct shift time. youm may not even feel it. It looks for a shift time of less than .65 seconds. Eventually you will notice late shifting.

This can be casued a faulty pressure control solenoid, valve body problem, accumulator problem, or any one of the clutches. All of which are internal to trans.

A fliter and fluid change may help.

would need a Trans. tech to drive it with a scanner on the computer and watch many different parameters to determine where the problem is.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I do not believe amcoo drove my vehicle other than to pull it inside and hook it up to the computer. They are telling us it needs a new cluch pack? and the only way to get to that would be to really repalce the whole transmission to the tune of $2700.00 they gave not other fix than that. my husband recently changed the trans fluid and filter and there was no medle in the pan other than the fluid looking real black and smelling burnt. We bought this car april 2008 and have only put like 16000 miles on it. so if the dealership had replaced the fluid upon thetre inspection there shouldnt have been any reason why the fluid was that dirty or burnt smelling... right?
Expert:  joel replied 5 years ago.

Black fluid is a sure sign of one or more clutches failed.

IF the dealer replaced fluid, it very well can go burnt / black within 16,000 because something has failed.

If there was nothing wrong internally, then the fluid would still look red.

With the fluid being that bad, the quote was probalby because the possible cost of any fialed parts may exceed the cost of a new trans.

When one part fails to cause the fluid to be that bad, it more than likely has affected many other parts.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I do not believ they had changed the fluid from the previos owner to me. The fluid still loooks and smells fine now after about 3-4 months running in the vehicle.
Expert:  joel replied 5 years ago.

Maybe got a little confused. Thought you meant the dealer changed it before you got it...

"so if the dealership had replaced the fluid upon thetre inspection there shouldnt have been any reason why the fluid was that dirty or burnt smelling... right? "

Then back to my earlier reponse of the things that can cause this code.

Something has caused the fluid to be black when your hubby changed fluid.

Any one of the things in precious post can cause this except the pressure control valve solenoid. Again, a scan tool looking at data would be needed.

I might suggest going to a GM dealer and having them run a diagnostic on it before have the trans. shop just put in a new trans.

The GM tech will know exactly what data to look at be able to determine if this trans. is repairable or needs replacement.

joel, GM Dealer Technician
Experience: 18 years plus at same GM Dealer
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thankyou. Im still lost but that not your fault, I'll accept, have a good night
Expert:  joel replied 5 years ago.

Good luck. Get the trans thoroughly checked out buy a trained transmission Tech.