Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech. 30+ years mechanic, shop forman, service manager
2947720

1996 buick century: headlights..fuses all seam to be ok..ground

headlights not working on my 1996 buick century. fuses all seam to be ok. I think that it may be a ground but, unsure of location for ground please advise thank you.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Pete replied 7 years ago.
Hello,try this and let me know if you get any reaction out of it,try wiggling the turn signal lever up and down and back and forth when your headlamps are on and see if they come on or flicker at all when you do this,Thanks Pete,also do you have high beams at all?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
pete nothing happens with the movement of the signal and or putting high beams on
Expert:  Pete replied 7 years ago.
I will have to opt out of this question as i do not know the right answer to this one or the location of the grounds,someone else should be with you shortly,sorry,Pete
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Pete thanks for your assistance. It may help that The interior lights are also not working. maybe something will pop into your head if so please write back again thank you!!!!!
Expert:  Pete replied 7 years ago.
Hello,have you checked your fuse block underneath the hood in the engine bay area to make sure all of those fuses are good,also check the main power wire going into that underhood fuse block,let me know what you find,also make sure your battery connections are clean and tight,Thanks Pete,let me know.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
pete I already cleaned and tightened both positive and negative cables and battery. I'm unsure as to the location of the fuse box under the hood pete please advise. thanks
Expert:  Pete replied 7 years ago.
if this vehicle has an underhood fuse box which most newer cars do then it would be located on the passenger or drivers side up near where the top of the shocks/struts mount near the firewall,it may have a back cover covering it up.Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Pete as always thank you and i'll try one panel that is near the drivers side strut tower. It appears to be for the cruise control but maybe their is more to it than that. Talk to you soon thanks
Expert:  Pete replied 7 years ago.
it will look like a regular fuse box if your vehicle has one under the hood,dont dissassemble the cruise control module this should be a simple looking fuse box uner your hood it may be labeled fuses as well if your vehicle has one.Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Well Pete I am still in a dilemma that box was for the cruise control. I see nothing at all marked fuse under the hood. Please, so you know i really appreciate the items you had me check so far at least I have some of the stuff checked so i remove some things from the equation. Thank you
Expert:  Pete replied 7 years ago.
I found someone that may be able to help better then me ill send him your way,i just want to make sure you get the right answer,Thanks Pete,dont accept until you feel you are satisfied.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Pete I appreciate you getting me someone else to help me. All I see is the reply button. where is the accept button I want to make sure you get paid.
Expert:  Pete replied 7 years ago.
i dont want you to accept until you get the rigfht answer as i havent really helped in any way,if you did accept what ive entered then no one else would help until you paid them as well or opened a new question..Let me know what you want to do.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Pete I guess the best thing for me to do is wait. I'll look forward to hearing from the next advisor sorry that I did not offer you any help but, i'm trying to get car repaired for my brother.
Expert:  Jerry replied 7 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

Let me see if I can help with this.

Do you have a way to check for power? A volt meter or a 12v test light?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes I do have a test light.
Expert:  Jerry replied 7 years ago.

Okay. The first thing to do is to see if there is power at the stop light fuse. The reason I say that is because there are some fuse links, (at the starter) that power the headlights and stop along with the hazzard fuse. The signal lights are on a different fuse link.

Normally you can tell when one is bad...it will feel like a rubber band when you pull it. Sometimes you will even see where it is burnt.

graphic

Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience: ASE Master tech. 30+ years mechanic, shop forman, service manager