GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Buick Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.

2001 Buick: /c leaking..passenger compartment..passenger side..shops

Customer Question

2001 Buick, Park Avenue, Ultra a/c leaking into passenger compartment saturating passenger side carpet. Have had several shops try to solve the problem, but they have failed
Category: Buick
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 7 years ago.

Welcome. Clean water leaking into the cabin is almost always because the drain is plugged. IF the other shops have tried to fix it I would hope this means they have checked the drain and cleared it. If this is the case and it has plugged again it leads me to thing there is more debris in the system that they are not clearing. I would be tempted to find the drain and use a shop vac to such as much out as you can. Likely the other shops used a wire or something to clear the drain.

It could also be that the rubber elbow is missing and the water is not draining past the sheet metal of the fire wall.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is there a drawing showing the location of the condensate drain line on the bottom of the car or going through the firewall. Two different shops have attempted to clean out the line including pulling the carpet back on the passenger side and letting the a/c run for about an hour, but they still could not observe water leaking from under the dash or firewall.
I have been looking for a clear picture but there is not one. I have one that shows the AC and heater hose ports and typically the drain is below that with a rubber elbow.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Can you send me the picture you have? Maybe it will help.

Sorry, the paste did not work. I will try again.

Object Number: 247113  Size: SH

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the effort, but the info received has not helped. I had hoped to give my mechanic something specific more specific. The drain line appears to be draining under the car, but I continue to vacuum water out of my carpet on the drivers side.

If the drain is clear then there is a crack or flaw in the heater case that is not allowing th water to drain out of the car. I have not seen this so it will take a sharp technician to find this flaw.