cartech
cartech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  master tech automotive shop owner and tech 25 years
1511099

My headlights will not turn on, the parking lights (turn signal) turn

Customer Question

My headlights will not turn on, the parking lights (turn signal) turn on but not the headlights, I have checked the fuse and it is good.
Category: Buick
Expert:  cartech replied 5 years ago.
click it on high beams and see if the highs work
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the highs do not work. the fuse is good.
Expert:  cartech replied 5 years ago.
ok to look up the proper diagram i need some info does it have daytime running lights also does it have twilight sentinel
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it does not have daylight running lights but does have twilight sentinel. i have adjusted and turned off the sentinel with no luck.
Expert:  cartech replied 5 years ago.
ok let me pull some info do you have a test light or voltmeter
Expert:  cartech replied 5 years ago.
i need to no weather you have power to the red wire on terminal f of the headlamp switch
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok i will check
Expert:  cartech replied 5 years ago.
ok
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok i have power to the red wire. 13v
Expert:  cartech replied 5 years ago.
ok turn the headlights on and see if you have voltage at the yellow wire
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i do
Expert:  cartech replied 5 years ago.
you need to check the yellow wire at the dimmer switch for juice
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok
Expert:  cartech replied 5 years ago.
while your at it check the light green on high and the tan on low for voltage as well
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
tan has 9.910v and the lite green has 11.10v
Expert:  cartech replied 5 years ago.
better check for juice at the headlight plug tan and light green again for voltage and black for groiund if you have voltage and ground you have bad bulbs
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok at the bulb there is no juice. at the switch there is juice
Expert:  cartech replied 5 years ago.

check for voltage to the same wires at conector c101 i have included a picture for location check both sides to make sure the voltage is going thru the plug

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Voltage at the connector is Tan - 0.025, Black - 13.15, Lt Green - 0.254 and Green - 0.030. I got these reading with the car running and light switch on.
Expert:  cartech replied 5 years ago.
unplug that conector and check for voltage if you didnt have it unpluged
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it was unplugged when I checked it.
Expert:  cartech replied 5 years ago.
ok we have a short from the dimmer to that plug in the harness
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
is that the headlight switch or the high-beam low-beam switch?
Expert:  cartech replied 5 years ago.
high low beam switch we had the juice there then the next place is that plug and no juice so some where between
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I checked the plug at the high beam switch and the yellow wire looks charred, so I unplugged it and the plug has some melting of the plastic around where the yellow wire is at.
Expert:  cartech replied 5 years ago.
possible problem