Goodwrench9124, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ase Master Certified, GM Master Certified Tech. Awarded GM Top performer, Hrybrid certified

2003 Buick Rendezvous CX: we are unable to get the rear hatch to open

Customer Question

We have a 2003 Buick Rendezvous CX - we are unable to get the rear hatch to open.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Goodwrench9124 replied 7 years ago.
Hello, and welcome. when you try release and open the rear liftgate, can you hear the release work? a click?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No, we do not.
Ok, I know you said you checked the fuses, but to be sure, how about the GATE REL fuse number 13 20 amp fuse, that is in the center console ip fuse block? can you tell me if this fuse is good and has been checked?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes, this fuse has been checked and is good.
Great, just wanted to be sure. the rear liftgate is operated by the body control module. when you dont hear the actuator clicking in the rear, either the actuator in the liftgate is failed or the body control module has a internal fault. this can be very hard to diag without a high end scan tool that can read data. I do have one quick thing you can try, where the liftgate fuse is, the body control module sits on topp of this fuse block. you wont be able to see it very well. but try this, kinda tap on the fuse block area and see what happens, try opening the liftgate
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It is late, will try your suggestion tomorrow.
let me know what happens?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

We tried your suggestion but this did not work either.

If we are unable, by your suggestions, to get it working will I still be charged the $15.00?

Thank you for your quick responses and I do hope you will be able to solve the problem if possible.

No, you dont have to accept my answer if you are not happy with my help. like I said the problem is going to be either with the lock actuator or the bcm. which does require a GM tech 2 scan tool for proper diag