Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

How Do I Change The Timing Belt On A 2001 Buick Lesaber 6

How Do I Change The Timing Belt On A 2001 Buick Lesaber 6 Cylinder
Category: Buick
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

The 2001 Buick Lesabre 3.8L v6 has a timing chain, not a timing belt. Below are directions:

• Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
  • Drain the cooling system.
  • Support the engine.
  • Remove or disconnect the following:

Negative battery cable
  • Torque axis mount and bracket
  • Drive belt
  • Supercharger belt, if equipped
  • Drive belt idler pulley and bracket (VIN 1 engine)
  • Drive belt tensioner (for VIN K engine)
  • Crankshaft balancer
  • Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor shield and the CKP sensor
  • Oil pan-to-front cover bolts
  • Timing chain front cover

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Timing chain front cover-3.8L (VIN K and 1) engines

• Align the timing marks on the camshaft and crankshaft sprockets so they are as close together as possible.
    WARNING Do not rotate the camshaft or crankshaft while the timing chain and sprockets are removed.

Timing chain damper
  • Camshaft sprocket bolt, the camshaft sprocket and timing chain
  • Crankshaft sprocket

To install:

1. Install or connect the following:
    WARNING The oil pump is built into the front cover. When the cover is removed, oil drains from the pump. Since the pump "loses its prime" it may not establish oil pressure as soon as the engine starts. Therefore, it is important to remove the oil pump cover from the back of the timing chain front cover and pack the space around the oil pump gears completely full of petroleum jelly. If this is not done, the oil pump may not pump engine oil when the engine is started, resulting in severe engine damage.

Timing chain and sprockets with the timing marks aligned Camshaft sprocket bolt. Torque the bolt to 74 ft. lbs. (100 Nm) plus an additional 90 degree turn.

Timing chain damper. Torque the bolts to 16 ft. lbs. (22 Nm).

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Timing chain sprocket and balance shaft gear alignment-3.8L (VIN K and 1) engines

2. Remove the screws and the oil pump cover from the back of the timing chain front cover. Pack the space around the oil pump gears completely full of petroleum jelly. There must be no air space left inside the pump.
  3. Install or connect the following:

Pump cover with new gaskets. Torque the screws to 97 inch lbs. (11 Nm). Timing chain front cover. Torque the front cover-to-engine bolts to 11 ft. lbs. (15 Nm) plus an additional 40 degrees. Oil pan-to-front cover bolts. Torque the bolts to 125 inch lbs. (14 Nm). CKP sensor. Torque the bolts to 14-28 ft. lbs. (20-40 Nm). CKP sensor shield Crankshaft balancer. Torque the bolt to 111 ft. lbs. (150 Nm) plus an additional 76 degree turn. Drive belt tensioner assembly (VIN K engine) Drive belt idler pulley (VIN 1 engine) Right inner fender access panel and the right front wheel Drive belt(s) Engine mount Coolant hoses Negative battery cable
  4. Remove the engine support fixture.
  5. Refill and bleed the cooling system.
  6. Start the vehicle and check for leaks and proper engine operation
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Behind My Harmonic Balancer is A Plastic Cover I Can Push On It And   Change The Pitch Sound It Makes A Clicking Sound. I Thought It Was The Chain ( thinking it was a belt) But By Your Explaination The Chain Is Behind A Metal Cover. So What Is The Plastic Piece Iam Pushing On? Thanks For The Help
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

The only thing behind the harmonic balancer but in front of the timing chain is the oil pump which is located inside the timing cover:

Removal & Installation

3.8L Engine

1. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
  2. Support the engine using an engine support fixture.
  3. Remove or disconnect the following:

Negative battery cable Engine drive belts and tensioner assembly Drive belt idler pulley and bracket
  4. Remove or disconnect the following:

Torque axis mount bracket, if necessary Engine front cover assembly Oil filter adapter with pressure regulator valve and spring Oil pump cover Inner and outer pump gears

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. The oil pump is located inside the front engine cover-3.8L (VIN K and 1) engines

To install:

1. Lubricate the oil pump gears with petroleum jelly.
  2. Install the gears into the oil pump housing.
  3. Pack the gear cavity with petroleum jelly after the gears have been installed in the housing.
  4. Install or connect the following:

Oil pump cover. Torque the screws to 97 inch lbs. (11 Nm). Oil filter adapter with new gasket, pressure regulator valve and spring. Torque the bolts to 11 ft. lbs. (15 Nm). Front cover assembly Tensioner assembly Drive belt idler pulley and bracket, if removed Drive belts Torque axis mount bracket Negative battery cable
  5. Remove the engine support fixture.
  6. Verify the correct engine oil level.
  7. Start the vehicle and verify no leaks and proper oil pressure