Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Buick Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

2001 Buick LeSabre 3800 Engine without Super Charge. Car came

Customer Question

2001 Buick LeSabre 3800 Engine without Super Charge. Car came in barely running with p0102 and p0300. Cleared codes monitored missfires and upon wetting ignition cables no5 cylinder missfired like crazy and set p0300 again. Replaced plugs, wires, cylinder 2-5 coil and fuel filter, miss fire problem solved. However, now under heavy acceleration vehicle chugs. No dtcs set and no misfire count at all. Mileage is 54,000.
Where should i be looking?
Category: Buick
Expert:  Richard replied 7 years ago.
This engine is very picky with fuel pressure, try filter first.
Expert:  Richard replied 7 years ago.
  1. Turn OFF the ignition.
  2. Install the fuel pressure gage. Refer to Fuel Pressure Gage Installation and Removal .
  3. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  4. Command the fuel pump ON with a scan tool.
  5. Important:

It may be necessary to command the fuel pump ON a few times, in order to obtain the highest possible fuel pressure.
    DO NOT start the engine.

6. Observe the fuel pressure gage, with the fuel pump commanded ON.

Is the fuel pressure within the specified value?

364-405 kPa (53-59 psi)

334-375 kPa (48-54 psi)

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Already did that. I will check fuel pressure next. I read there was an updated regulator in alldata but wasn't sure if that could be my issue. Also, fuel guage is not working so he may be getting a fuel pump anyway. I wanted to fix driveability concerns before moving onto fuel sender.
Expert:  Richard replied 7 years ago.
You said you had a P0102. The Mass Air Flow will cause exactly those symptoms. It takes a while for that DTC to set. You may want to check closer on the MAF.

The mass air flow (MAF) sensor is an air flow meter that measures the amount of air entering the engine. The powertrain control module (PCM) uses the MAF sensor signal in order to provide the correct fuel delivery for a wide range of engine speeds and loads. A small quantity of air entering the engine indicates deceleration or idle. A large quantity of air entering the engine indicates an acceleration or high load situation. The MAF sensor has an ignition 1 voltage circuit, a ground circuit and a signal circuit. The PCM applies a voltage to the sensor on the signal circuit. The sensor uses the voltage in order to produce a frequency based on inlet air flow through the sensor bore. The frequency will vary within a range of around 2,000 Hertz at idle to about 10,000 Hertz at maximum engine load. DTC P0102 will set if the PCM detects a frequency signal lower than the possible range of a normally operating MAF sensor.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I was thinking that before i got the car somebody may have unplugged it. I don't know that for sure. I may give car back to customer and see if code comes back.
Expert:  Richard replied 7 years ago.
OK, let me know?