Gary
Gary, Buick Technician
Experience:  15 years master GM tech and mater ASE tech
19513769

98 buick regal gs: wont start..fuses..wont start..security system

Customer Question

I have a 98 buick regal gs...have power but wont start, battery is fine, fuses are fine just won't start , no clicking no nothing...everything works but wont start. The key will turn forward all the dash lights come on, won't go into gear at that point an again won't start. Could it be the security system? if so how do you get it to shut off?
Category: Buick
Expert:  cartech replied 5 years ago.
this may be a starter if you have a test light there is a small wire that is purple on the starter test this wire for power while someone holds the key in the start possition if you have power replace the starter
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
when you turn the key the power diappears from the starter
Expert:  cartech replied 5 years ago.
actually sounds like a bad conection try to clean all cables
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
done that...we have had test lights on everything. Everything is fine seems that all the power going to the starter is fine until you try and turn the key to start it then the power is gone from the starter. Could it be the security system is enabling?
Expert:  cartech replied 5 years ago.
i dont beleive so but i will open iot up to other techs someone will be with you shortly
Expert:  Gary replied 5 years ago.
ok at the starter there is a big post and a small post can you take your test light with the clip to battery ground and touch the tip of the test light at the SMALL terminal on the starter and see if everytimr you turn it to CRANK if it lights up the test light?do you have a mulitmeter?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok tried all that you recomended took it to my tech and the car will only start if it is off the ground (on the hoist) there is power supply to everywhere in the car just wont complete the starting circut unless it is not on the ground. He thinks it has something to do with the security system on the car. the keys have the chips in them and he believes it has something to do with the ignition not sending the signal to the computer and reading the chip in the key to disable the security. Any other suggestions on how to fix this?
Expert:  Gary replied 5 years ago.
ok if it is the chip in the key what we can do is confrim if it is the security system or not ok?..do you have an ohm meter?or multimeter?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes we have a multimeter
Expert:  Gary replied 5 years ago.
ok with the meter set it to ohms measure the ignition keys chip side to side with the meter.put one lead one one side of the key chip and the other lead on the other side of the key and lets see what we have for resistence..write down that number that is the resistence of the key chip..then swing by radio shack or a place that installs car alarms and remote starts and buy a resister for the resistence we measured for with your meter then go to your car and remove the little plastic under dash panel drivers side under dash so we can find the little electricle connector for the steering lock theft key switch..let me know when you get to that point..then we are going to install the resister to the 2 wires that go up the steering column that are more than likey broken in the steering column at the ign lock cylinder..and with added the reisiter to the connector the alarm is going to think the key lock cylinder is good at it will crank over
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok thank you we will try that tomorrow and get back to you once we have the resister to put in the car. all i want to do is bypass the security system so that my car starts without having to put in a new ignition system.
Expert:  Gary replied 5 years ago.
right that what we are going to do after you remove the bottom dash panel on the driver side and have the resister to add in let me know and i will walk you threw finding the little 2 wire connector at the bottom of the steering column unplug it and add the resister to the connector terminals on the harness side and it will bypass the ignition lock cylinder
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok ready need to find the right wires now need your help
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
really need someones help with this my car is sitting apart need to find these wires PLEASE HELP!!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hello need help I see your online now
Expert:  Gary replied 5 years ago.
ok get under the dash and we are looking for 2 small wires that run out sererat from out of the bottom of the steering column
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

ok what we have are 2 white wires that are attached to the igintion everything else has more than two wires

Expert:  Gary replied 5 years ago.
one wire is purple/white the other is white/black...they are the only 2 that are seperate and go to a little blck 2 terminal connecotr under the dash steering column meets the lower dash area   keep in ming it is the only 2 by them selves..let me know when you find it
Expert:  Gary replied 5 years ago.
ok unplug the connector now on the harness side not the side that goes bcak up threw the streering column but the other side put that resister one end to one terminal and other end to the last terminal...dont cut anything just make sure its in there good and touching both terminals and try to start the car
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
there are only a black solid and a black with a white stripe
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

my husband wants to know if it just a skinny plug because the harness plug is one piece with a bolt threw it

Expert:  Gary replied 5 years ago.
ok we can either cut those wires back @3 inches and put the reister in or stick it in so it touches both terminals..i would prefer to cut them back 3 inches and add it to the 3 inch of wire you have out off the box remeber to put it on the harness side of the 2 wires..leave 3 inches in case we have any problems and need to re splice them in ok? then try to start it...it should start as long as you didnt try to start it with the key in the ignition in the last 12 minutes
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok let me start again getting confused now...the dash is apart under the dash is a mess of wires ...the ones going to the harness are not the colors you say they are. We did however find a loose plug with a 2 prong plug on it but it wasn't plugged into to anything...Are you certain that the wire we want is purple/white?
Expert:  Gary replied 5 years ago.
the 2 white wires you see that go into that big electrical box those run from the box and un into the steering column as 2 loose wires right?there are no more 2 small wires running down correct?if those are the only 2 and are solid white those are them ..the wire colors i gave you if you look at the back side of the box those are the colors of the 2 wires that come into the back of that box to connecent with those 2 whites..i didnt clarify about that im sorry..but if you look at the back side you will see those 2 wire colors i gave you come into the back of that connector the colors i said but come out the other side both whites..so why get behind that box when we can use the 2 whites out of the front of it..look and you will see those 2 wire colors in from the harness then change to white out of the connector to 2 whites
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
we would like to know if the resistor is off by say .2 ohms is that ok
Expert:  Gary replied 5 years ago.
what did the chip read?and what size did you buy?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
2.360 ohms and the resister is 2.2
Expert:  Gary replied 5 years ago.
well there is only one way to find out..give it a shot worse case it will not start it will not hurt anything
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
or would you recommend the 3.3 we have or does it need to be as close as possible?
Expert:  Gary replied 5 years ago.
the closer the better to what the chip read when ohmed
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok the two white wires that are connected to the back of the ignition where you put the key in is where the 2 wires are are they the ones?
Expert:  Gary replied 5 years ago.
yes..good job finding them..put the resister on the harness side of the 2 wires not the lock side of the wires
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok we put a 2.3 ohm resister just lke you said and it wont start so could it be we need to wait 12 minutes again
Expert:  Gary replied 5 years ago.
no crank at all?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

noo nothing we are waiting the 12 minutes...does the battery terminal need to come off to reset the computer or anything

Expert:  Gary replied 5 years ago.
no..if it still will not try what im going to send you now follow this chart ok?i will be back soon let me know

Turn the ignition switch to the LOCK position.
Turn the ignition switch to the RUN position.
The SECURITY will come on and stay on for at least 10 minutes .when the security light shuts off
Turn the ignition switch to the LOCK position for 5 seconds .
Repeat steps 2, 3, and 4 again for a second time.
Repeat steps 2, 3, and 4 again for a third time.
Turn the ignition switch all the way to the START position. The engine should now start.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
nope didn't work i think we did something wrong from the get go
Expert:  Gary replied 5 years ago.
Let me look into this further, we're missing something, let me make sure the resistor you put in will be enough to start it. I will get back to you in the early AM with some answers. Hang tight!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok thanks
Expert:  Gary replied 5 years ago.
are you able to go to the starter small wire on the starter solniod and when trying to crank it can you see if you have 12 volts there when you try to crank it over?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

checked it there already have power lots of power can jump the starter out all day long still wont turn over the car is in lock down mode

Expert:  Gary replied 5 years ago.
ok put the key in the ignition lock turn key on with your ohm meter see what we have for ohn reading at the 2 wires across each other that run up to the ignition switch..