Greg A
Greg A, Master Troubleshooter
Experience:  Working with Electronics & Cars for 25+ Years

how to replace/location blower motor 2002 lesabre 1st desi

Customer Question

how to replace/location blower motor 2002 lesabre 1st design
Category: Buick
Expert:  Greg A replied 4 years ago.

Hello & welcome,

I am not sure what you mean by "1st design"?

I have procedures for replacing the blower motor with a vent tube and one without a vent tube.

Would you like me to send one of those along?

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes it looks like the replacement I bought has a port for a tube. When I bought the part online I was reading that the earlier model of the 2002 buick Lesabre had a different design than later models that same year.

I hope i have theright part

Expert:  Greg A replied 4 years ago.

Hi again,

Tell you what - let me grab both procedures and send them along so that you will have which ever one it needed.

Back soon, Greg A.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thanks
Expert:  Greg A replied 4 years ago.

Here are the procedures as PDF files. You should be able to click the links and view them on your computer and print them out.

Blower with tube

Blower without tube

I hope this helps. Please let me know how it goes or if you need more information.

Take Care, Greg A.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i know i sound stupid but... where is the right side sound insulator?
Expert:  Greg A replied 4 years ago.

Not stupid at all.

That is the insulator panel on the passenger side of the vehicle, or the bottom panel of the dash.

Let me see if I can find the procedure to see if there is anything complicated about it.

Thanks for asking!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i think i have that panel off but did not see the blower motor
Expert:  Greg A replied 4 years ago.

Here is the procedure for removing the insulator panel.

Insulator panel right side

You should see the blower motor. You will be looking from the bottom, or floorboard.

Greg A, Master Troubleshooter
Experience: Working with Electronics & Cars for 25+ Years
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i'm working on it. my model has a housing under the blower motor that i have to remove before i can get to the blower. it is mui difficult getting that housing off i guess there is nothing yu can do tohelp that
Expert:  Greg A replied 4 years ago.
I would like to help, but until they come up with a working and tested "teleporter" I'm kind of stuck here.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I will have to get a 7/32 wrench tomorrow. I thought I was ahead of the game by having the socet but the socet won't fit this one bolt in a tight corner.

Thanks for your help. I should have been able to see that blower motor. it was the housing that hid the blower from my initial inspection.

After I get the whole thing off I may discover the shortcut that would have helped me here or maybe there is no shortcut.

Expert:  Greg A replied 4 years ago.

Hi again & Thanks for the accept.

Please let me know how it goes tomorrow or if you need more information.

Take Care, Greg A.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok that housing is not comming off. it is connected somehow to some other stuff that is beside it (towards driver) Are you certain the way in is here? I had seen something on the internet about removing the glove box, although I can't figure that out either and I can't find that article again.

My 2002 LeSabre was manufactured in November of 2001. might make a difference

Expert:  Greg A replied 4 years ago.

Hi again,

I don't know if that would make a difference, as the production date is usually a little ahead of the model year.

If you would like to send along your VIN (Vehicle Identification Number), then I can double-check.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok

1G4HR54K22U191428

I really don't think Buick wants me to work on this car. Everything I do is harder than it needs to be.

Expert:  Greg A replied 4 years ago.

Hi again,

That checks out as the right model & year.

Can you let me know which procedure it was that you are using?

The one with the vent tube or the one without?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
with the tube the replacement part i have is bm100009
Expert:  Greg A replied 4 years ago.

The one that says "with tube" is not supposed to have the glove box removed, at least it is not in the instructions, but the one that says "without" does say to remove the glove box (Instrument Panel Storage Compartment).

Let me send that procedure along, just in case. I don't know if it will help, but at least you will have the procedure.

RR storage compartment

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks

Nothing is as easy as it looks. i have had those two screws out 3 times now.

Years ago I used to work on cars all the time. It used to make sense. everything now is hidden and difficult.

I will look at that glove box again

Expert:  Greg A replied 4 years ago.

You're right - nothing is as easy as it used to be. But when you try to stuff everything into a tight space and get 20+ mpg at the same time, that seems to be the result.

Please let me know what progress you make.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok I got the glove box out. 1 extra screw that the drawing did not show and I missed at first. Not really much help.

Now that i look at the installation without tube it looks really familar. those pesky screws i was dealing with are the blower motor retaining screws.

Still trying to figure out what the Dash integration module is. I dont see anything like that under here yet

Expert:  Greg A replied 4 years ago.

Dash module is just a control box for the system. It is shown in the diagram below, item 2. I believe it slides UP a little to release it from the mount.

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I see. Yes I know that Part. I have been trying to release it so I can get to the bracket. No luck yet but I did find a retaining screw I had missed. I never would have seen it but I was looking at the drawing and I only had 5 screws. The drawing shows 6. Now the blower is hanging on that DIM

I think we are making progress

Expert:  Greg A replied 4 years ago.

OK - My memory failed me! Here is the instruction to remove the DIM.

• Remove the dash integration module (DIM) from the bracket by releasing the tab behind the module and pulling downward.
  • Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes i found something that looked like it wanted to release the unit. I was tryiong to push or pull on it and trying to get that unit no luck yet.

You know... even when I found the extra screw in the glove box it did not want to come out. I knew I was stronger so I got it out. I think I broke a couple of plastic snap clips while doing it.

I am a little concerned about this DIM I dont think I want to break anything there. Am I ok to unplug the stuff that is going into it?

I may have the wrong replacement part and now think I might have to drive around a little while waiting for the new part.

Expert:  Greg A replied 4 years ago.

If it was me, I would want to leave everything connected. The integration module holds some information that may have to be reprogrammed if it is disconnected.

I think what you are looking for is just a plastic tab that holds the box in place. I don't have the best memory, but I think the tab might be near the connectors.

A mirror or bright light might help find it. I know it can get tight in there, so try not to get frustrated and take your time.