Greg A
Greg A, Master Troubleshooter
Experience:  Working with Electronics & Cars for 25+ Years
5229702

1995 Buick Riviera: brake light..engaged..the parking brake..disable

Customer Question

The parking brake light and chime are on constantly in my 1995 Buick Riviera once I start driving and even when I put it park (The parking brake is NOT engaged). Is there a wire connection above the parking brake that I can disable? What does it look like?
Category: Buick
Expert:  Greg A replied 5 years ago.

Hello & Welcome,

There is a switch above the parking brake lever that may have to be replaced. I will see if I can find a schematic for you, but here is the location diagram.

graphic

I would start by checking if the connector is off or broken.

Please let me know what you find.

Thanks, XXXXX

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

There is a switch labeled On/Off above the parking brake, is this what you are refering to? I switched it off and drove around with no chime, then switched it back on drove some more and there is still no chime. I will have to test it further as my car has a habit of messing with my head.

Expert:  Greg A replied 5 years ago.

Hi again,

I am not sure what the ON/OFF switch is, but the one I was referring to is actually mounted on the parking brake lever, as shown in the diagram above.

Is there a label or symbol next to the ON/OFF switch you are pushing?

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

It is a small toggle switch hidden under the dash right above the parking brake and it is not labeled or has any symbol, it only says on/off. It is not the traction control button.

Thanks for replying.

Expert:  Greg A replied 5 years ago.

I am not sure what that switch is, but I don't think it would have anything to do with the parking brake or be an override for that system.

You may be right - perhaps the car is just messing with you - lol.

Are you the original owner of this vehicle?

Does that swith look like it was factory installed?

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I'm not the original owner and it may not be factory installed. They did add a plug in heater for the winter and a remote car starter that apparently never worked and im not sure why a switch for either of those would be there...

If I temporarily disconnect the switch you referred to in the diagram before replacing it will the chime stop?

Expert:  Greg A replied 5 years ago.

Hi again - sorry for the delay - I had to reboot my computer.

I am still looking for the schematic for the parking brake switch, so I can figure out if it is supposed to be closed or open when the parking brake is set.

But ... if you have a multimeter you could test the switch to see if it works. Just set the meter to the ohms or resistance scale and check the terminal connector when the brake is engaged and when it is released. It should be different.

I will keep looking for the schematic and will be able to tell you for sure when I find it.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I do have a multimeter so I can test that. Thanks again for the help... and let me know when you find out if the 'chime' can be disconnected this way.
Expert:  Greg A replied 5 years ago.

Hi again,

I found the schematic. It shows that the switch should be OPEN when the parking brake is released, so you should be able to disconnect the wire from switch to test if this is the problem.

graphic

But ... also notice that the brake fluid level switch is wired into the same circuit. So you will need to check the brake fluid level to make sure you don't have a problem there.

I don't really think you want to disconnect the chime as that can be used to warn you of certain conditions that might effect the vehicle. Check the things mentioned above and see if that is one of these cases (brake fluid).

Please let me know what you find.

Take Care, Greg A.

Greg A, Master Troubleshooter
Experience: Working with Electronics & Cars for 25+ Years
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I will have check the brake fluid level later today and see if the switch is working properly. I will respond later today.

Regards,

NS

Expert:  Greg A replied 5 years ago.

You might want to check that brake fluid SOON - Safety issue.

Take Care, Greg A.