Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Buick Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

Buick regal: Rear windows roll down but will not roll up

Customer Question

How can I fix the window issue on my 98' buick regal?   Rear windows roll down but will not roll up.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 7 years ago.
Do the rear windows attempt to roll up at all?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No they do not. There is no noise or any motion at all, but they do roll down unfortunately. The front windows work fine.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 7 years ago.

Since the motors work in the down direction, this indicates that the motor and the wiring are good. The window switch is bad.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Great, thank you. I'll let you know if this solves my problem.

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 7 years ago.
You are welcome, please let me know if I can help you with anything else.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
One more thing that I just realized. The Drivers side controls also only allow the windows to go down but not up. What is the likelyhood of the all three switches to be bad? Again the Drivers side switches still operate the front 2 windows and the passenger side switch works fine. Just trying to make sure that I have given you enough information.

Thanks again.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 7 years ago.
The drivers window switch supplies the ground signal for the rear window switches. The drivers switch may be the whole problem. If you have a test lamp or multimeter I can tell you which wires to test.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no i dont have one, would i be able to go to auto zone and get it tested there? i can easily remove the switch and take it in, or does the vehicle have to be there?
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 7 years ago.
I don't think autozone has the capability of testing the switch. You can buy a test lamp at nearly any auto parts store for a few dollars.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
my volt meter broke, what are the connections that i need to test on the vehicle/switch? i will get another volt meter.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 7 years ago.

With your voltmeter set on DC volts, turn the ignition switch on and connect the red lead to the yellow wire at the drivers window switch. Connect the black lead to each of the wires listed below. The meter should show 12 volts if the switch is good.

Left rear wires are:

Dark Green

Right rear wires are:

Light Green

Let me know what you find