BigBob
BigBob, Shop manager/technician
Experience:  Shop Manager with 25 years experience

2003 buick century. how do i know if the radiator fans work

Customer Question

2003 buick century. how do i know if the radiator fans work? i never see or hear them running. it doesnt overheat but i never drive far either
Category: Buick
Expert:  BigBob replied 4 years ago.
Greetings,

Turn the air conditioner on and both fans should come on low speed. this is when they should come on

Cooling Fan Control 3.1 L (LG8)
The engine cooling fan system consists of two electrical cooling fans and three fan relays. The relays are arranged in a series/parallel configuration that allows the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) to operate both fans together at low or high speeds. The cooling fans and fan relays receive battery positive voltage from the underhood accessory wiring junction block. The ground path is provided at G117.
During low speed operation, the PCM supplies the ground path for the low speed fan relay through the low speed cooling fan relay control circuit. This energizes the cooling fan 1 relay coil, closes the relay contacts, and supplies battery positive voltage from the cool fan 1 fuse through the cooling fan motor supply voltage circuit to the left cooling fan. The ground path for the left cooling fan is through the cooling fan 2 relay and the right cooling fan. The result is a series circuit with both fans running at low speed.
During high speed operation the PCM supplies the ground path for the cooling fan 1 relay through the low speed cooling fan relay control circuit. After a 3-second delay, the PCM supplies a ground path for the cooling fan 2 relay and the cooling fan 3 relay through the high speed cooling fan relay control circuit. This energizes the cooling fan 2 relay coil, closes the relay contacts, and provides a ground path for the left cooling fan. At the same time the cooling fan 3 relay coil is energized closing the relay contacts and provides battery positive voltage from the cool fan 2 fuse on the cooling fan motor supply voltage circuit to the right cooling fan. During high speed fan operation, both engine cooling fans have there own ground path. The result is a parallel circuit with both fans running at high speed.
A diode is in parallel with each of the cooling fan motors. This diode absorbs a voltage surge and protects the vehicles electrical system. This surge results from the initial start-up of the cooling fan motor.
The PCM commands Low Speed Fans on under the following conditions:

• Engine coolant temperature exceedsapproximately 106°C (223°F) .
  • When A/C is requested and the ambient temperature ismore than 50°C (122°F) .
  • A/C refrigerant pressure exceeds 1310 kPa (190 psi) .
  • After the vehicle is shut off if the engine coolant temperature at key-off is more than 140°C (284°F) and system voltage is more than 12 volts . The fans will stay on for approximately 3 minutes . The PCM commands High Speed Fans on under the following conditions:
  • Engine coolant temperature reaches 110°C (230°F) .
  • A/C refrigerant pressure exceeds 1655 kPa (240 psi) .
  • When certain DTCs set.

Cooling Fan Control 3.8L (L36, L67)
During low speed operation, the PCM supplies the ground path for the low speed fan relay through the low speed cooling fan relay control circuit. This energizes the cooling fan 1 relay coil, closes the relay contacts, and supplies battery positive voltage from the cool fan 1 fuse through the cooling fan motor supply voltage circuit to the right cooling fan. The ground path for the right cooling fan is through the cooling fan 2 relay and the left cooling fan. The result is a series circuit with both fans running at low speed.
During high speed operation the PCM supplies the ground path for the cooling fan 1 relay through the low speed cooling fan relay control circuit. After a 3-second delay, the PCM supplies a ground path for the cooling fan 2 relay and the cooling fan 3 relay through the high speed cooling fan relay control circuit. This energizes the cooling fan 2 relay coil, closes the relay contacts, and provides a ground path for the right cooling fan. At the same time the cooling fan 3 relay coil is energized closing the relay contacts and provides battery positive voltage from the cool fan 2 fuse on the cooling fan motor supply voltage circuit to the left cooling fan. During high speed fan operation, both engine cooling fans have there own ground path. The result is a parallel circuit with both fans running at high speed.

• Engine coolant temperature exceeds approximately 106°C (223°F) .
  • After the vehicle is shut off if the engine coolant temperature at key-off ismore than 140°C (284°F) and system voltage is more than 12 volts . The fans will stay on for approximately 3 minutes . The PCM commands High Speed Fans on under the following conditions:
  • When certain DTCs set.
let me know if I can help further.

Good luck,
Bob

BigBob, Shop manager/technician
Experience: Shop Manager with 25 years experience
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thank you for the info. i will check out my car tomorrow. if i can reach you i will let you know results. thanks again .clarence
Expert:  BigBob replied 4 years ago.
Let me know,

bob