GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Buick Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
10949255

I drive the Brake Light goes on and the Ding..awhile..several miles

Customer Question

The Brake Light and Ding-Ding annoys me. I don't know how to generate the problem but no matter how I drive the Brake Light goes on and the Ding annoys me......sometimes it goes off after awhile .....sometimes just after several miles...
Category: Buick
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 5 years ago.
Welcome. What year and model of buick? Is the ABS light on as well?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hello, sorry, sure you need that: It is a 95 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No ABS light is off.

Ok, check the brake fluid level. if this is low, or there is a leak, this will be the cause.
GM Tech (Cam), Buick Technician
Experience: GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the brake fluid level is just fine. I checked that.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

My guess was there might be a lose connection of the foot park brake switch (which turns on the light as well).....but I played with it and I think it is not the cause. I barely use the park brake anyways.

Sorry for the delay. No a loose connection will not usually cause this. Is the park brake on or is the switch for the park brake faulty? That uses the same light and chime.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I usually don't use the park brake and I think the switch is fine. If I enable the park brake the light comes up and goes off once I relrease the brake like it is supposed to do......I also cheked if the cable to brake fluid container is loose but it is not. The Ding-Ding just drives me crazy!

OK, I have been reviewing the schematics and there are only 2 devices the wiring for the brake warning goes and that is the brake fluid level and the park brake switch. What I suggest you try is unhook the brake fluid level switch from the master cylinder. If that does not stop it, then unhook the wire from the park brake switch. If that does not then either have a bad chime module or there is a spot on the tan/white wire that is touching the ground and causing this.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I unhooked the brake fluid level switch from the master cylinder, cleaned it and now its fine. Thank you a lot!!
You are welcome. Have a great day.