GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Buick Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.

1996 Buick Century 3.L. Intermittent stalling. Usually not

1996 Buick Century 3.L. Intermittent stalling. Usually not when cold. Replaced fuel filter, air filter, IAC valve. Used fuel injector cleaner. Took it to a GM dealership-no code founds and did not stall and they ran it for 3 hours. Fuel pressure was good. I have had it stall after starting in park, and it will always restart easily. Then it ran in park for 45 minutes w/o stalling. The other day it stalled while driving at freeway speed. Restarted right up. Only sems to do this when the weather is hot. This problem really started after vehicle ran out of gas a few weeks backs. Put in fuel injector cleaner and it ran fine for a week then it stalled. That is when I replaced the fuel filer, and then teh air filter and IAC.
Category: Buick
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 7 years ago.
WElcome. There are 2 parts that Isuspect are the issue here. First is the crankshaft position sensor andthe second is the ignition module. Both are known for issues when they get hot. I would start with the crank sensor and see as it is not expensive.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
How difficult is it to replace teh cran sensor on this vehicle? I was going to do that but I do not want to move the engine.

The sensor is not bad, you can get at it from under the vehicle. Just be sure to gently remove the sensor. If it breaks off, then you need to remove the oil pan to push it out from the back side.