GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Buick Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.

2005 Buick Rendezvous CXL: lights come..intermittently..the sensors

The ABS lights come on intermittently on my 2005 Buick Rendezvous CXL FWD. They have been checked and rechecked. The first time at about 56k miles, the dealer replaced one of the sensors packaged in the hub. Very expensive. The last time at 78k miles all they could find was a loose wire -- I think that was a guess. The ABS still activates for no reason. Now another problem. The "low tire pressure" light comes on and there is no problem with the pressure. Worse, when that happens, then I get this terrible smell like wires burning, or maybe it is oil dripping on something hot. These problems are very annoying. I have been singing the praises of this car for the past 4+ years, but now I am concerned. Anyone else have these problems? Any known solutions?
Welcome. Often the issue with these vehicles is not always the sensor, but the harness that goes from the wheel speed sensor to the body harness. The wires tend to break in the insulation due to fatigue at the major pivot point at the lower ball joint. The low tire system uses the wheel speed sensors to monitor the pressures. A fault in the ABS system will also trigger a low pressure warning. As for the burning smell, I would have a close inspection of the engine and all the fluid seals. See if there is anything leaking and hitting the exhaust manifold or the exhaust system.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks but to clarify -- can the wires be accessed and replaced without going into the buy where I was told the sensor is actually embedded? Is this a costly repair?
Yes, the wire harness that I am talking about is the one that connects into the wheel speed sensor. These harnesses are around 60, but that is a guess.