Cory
Cory, Buick Technician
Experience:  14 years GM experience ase master technician

Buick reatta: the message center (control board ) acts..wiring diagram

Customer Question

I have a1988 buick reatta and the message center (control board ) acts like it has a lose wire or a short of some type as it will work and then it will go blank. I've been trying to locate a wiring diagram so I could trace the wires to the computer, however, I can't seem to find the computer either. Would you have any idea as to what this problem is, or, how I might obtain a copy of the wiring diagram?

&nb sp;                                          Dale Dungan
   ;                                                                           XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Buick
Expert:  Cory replied 4 years ago.
Hi there. I just fixed one of these cars a few months ago with this exact complaint. There is module called a central power supply, or cps that can fail internally cause the screen to go out. There is a bulletin on this complaint. The cps is located above the brake pedal and looks like and silver box. Pull it down and look at the part number. If the part number is XXXXX then you need to replace it with part number 16088406. Well I hope this helps, if it does go ahead and click accept, or if you have more questions feel free to ask. Also positive feedback would help me, I am new at just answer and trying to build my reputation. Thanks for the opertunity to help. Cory
Cory, Buick Technician
Experience: 14 years GM experience ase master technician
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Cory,

After recieving the information you sent me I was able to locate the CPS unit you refered to me. I have just ordered one, however , it won't be here until Wednesday. I'll be looking forward to seeing if this will solve my problem. Thank you for your help.

One other thing, I've been trying to locate a "Haynes or a Chilton's" manual for this car, I can't find one. Would you have any idea where I can find one?
Dale Dungan
XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Expert:  Cory replied 4 years ago.
Information on these cars is scarce. You can go to the library and use alldata but even alldata has very limited information, and the way they have the wiring diagrams written you need to be good at reading wiring diagrams to understand these diagrams they are very complex. You best bet is to find gm service manual on ebay, at least you can figure those diagrams out. I was wondering if the part number on you cps matched the faulty module? If so you'll be happy, I fixed quite few of these.
Expert:  Cory replied 4 years ago.
HI there. I was just wondering how your repair is going. Also there is another guy with this concern and he wanted me to ask where you got your cps. He lives in Canada and he says there is not much up there.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
cory,
After replacing both computers (cps and the engine control computer) I briefly had the"Electronic control center " (that's the screen in the center of the dash) display, it appears as if someone smahed it with their fist! It's cracked with spider webs all over it. Needless to say it's shot!
Now I find out that that unit has been discontinued and can't be ordered from anywhere! I guess my only hope is to find one in a junk yard!! In the mean time I have two new computers!!
If you know of any place I can get one, please let me know.

I found both of those computers at "Advanced Auto Parts as well as AutoZone. The cost for the "Computer Power Supply" was $69.88", the "Engine Control Computer" was $78.99.

Well, thanks for your help. Dale Dungan
XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Expert:  Cory replied 4 years ago.

I' m sorry to hear that, but i have some good news for you. You may not be able to get a new one, but I did a little research for you and found a bulletin on a way that you may be able to get the unit repaired. Here the bulletin for you hope this helps feel free to let me know how I can assist you further.

xTooltipElement Service Information Home Publications Number Search New Bulletins Bulletin Search Feedback Help 1988 Buick Reatta | Bulletins By Category | Technical | Document ID: 504171

#80-83-07: INFO ON AVAILABILITY OF REPAIRS TO CRT - (Mar 13, 1998)

THIS IS A MONTHLY SERVICE NEWSLETTER ARTICLE. THIS BULLETIN IS NOT INTENDED FOR PUBLICATION.

SUBJECT: INFORMATION ON AVAILABILITY OF REPAIRS TO CRT THROUGH DSS INC. IN DAYTON OHIO

MODELS: 1986-89 BUICK RIVIERA 1988-89 BUICK REATTA

FOR 1986-89 RIVIERA AND REATTA THAT HAVE THE CRT SCREEN IN THE DASH, THE AC-DELCO REPAIR CENTER IN DAYTON, OHIO HAS THE CAPABILITY TO REPAIR THE CRT AND REPLACE THE PICTURE TUBE IF NECESSARY. THEIR ADDRESS IS DSS INC,XXXXX DAYTON, OHIO, 45414.

THEIR PHONE NUMBERS ARE(NNN) NNN-NNNNAND TOLL FREE NUMBER IS XXXXX

FIGURES: 00 ATTACHMENTS: 00

GENERAL MOTORS BULLETINS ARE INTENDED FOR USE BY PROFESSIONAL TECHNICIANS, NOT A "DO-IT-YOURSELFER". THEY ARE WRITTEN TO INFORM THOSE TECHNICIANS OF CONDITIONS THAT MAY OCCUR ON SOME VEHICLES, OR TO PROVIDE INFORMATION THAT COULD ASSIST IN THE PROPER SERVICE OF A VEHICLE. PROPERLY TRAINED TECHNICIANS HAVE THE EQUIPMENT, TOOLS, SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS AND KNOW-HOW TO DO A JOB PROPERLY AND SAFELY. IF A CONDITION IS DESCRIBED, DO NOT ASSUME THAT THE BULLETIN APPLIES TO YOUR VEHICLE, OR THAT YOUR VEHICLE WILL HAVE THAT CONDITION. SEE A GENERAL MOTORS DEALER SERVICING YOUR BRAND OF GENERAL MOTORS VEHICLE FOR INFORMATION ON WHETHER YOUR VEHICLE MAY BENEFIT FROM THE INFORMATION.

COPYRIGHT 1998 GENERAL MOTORS CORPORATION. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© 2009 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Cory,

Thanks for the information. I'll call them to see if they can re-build this unit. I'll let you knowwhat happens. Was the information I gave of any use on where I found those conputers? If he can't get one in Canada, I could order on here and send it up to him, I'm sure. "All it takes is Money"!

Dale
Expert:  Cory replied 4 years ago.

Yes it was. The Gm modules are getting scarce. Yes let me know how this turns out. I haven't replaced a crt since I was fresh out of tech school. It was alomst always the cps.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
cory,

I was able to get in touch with the ac-delco repair center you refered me to. however, it has changed ownership and addresses. They said they could repair my unit, so, I sent it to them Monday. It won't get there until Friday so it will be sometime next week before I hear anything. I'll let you know what happens.

Their new name and address is: MW Electronics, 8235 Troy Pike, Bldg. #139, Huber Hts.Ohio 45424. Thier phone numbers are the same. Mitch is the person to speak with.
The price to rebuild is $150 +$10 shipping.
Dale
Expert:  Cory replied 4 years ago.
Thanks so much for the reply and the new info. I hope this resolves your issue. I am happy to help you further if need be