carguyjosh, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified, 16yrs working with buick

2003 Buick regal car wont start all lights are flashing

Customer Question

2003 Buick regal car won't start   all lights are flashing very fast on panel   right before this occurred the security light flashed for the first time mechanic said battery and altenator are fine he suspects security system tripped please help
Category: Buick
Expert:  carguyjosh replied 7 years ago.

Okay, first I need a little information. You say the car won't start. Does the engine turn over? Please let me know...

Thanks Carguyjosh

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
sorry, at a softball game. No, sir, it won't do anything when the ignition is turned the only thing that happens is all the lights on the dashboard flash at a fast rate just a few days before this occurred the red security light flashed a few times

Do you have a multi-meter? Let me know so that we can check a few basic things.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
sir, I am a female insurance agent i don't know what a mulitmeter is

A multi-meter is a tool used to measure voltage. From your description, the first thing that comes to mind is that the battery is indeed failing. Without some basic backround in automotive repair and electrical repair, this will be a very difficult problem for me to guide you through. If you want to try to work through this, I am happy to help....

Let me know how you like to proceed......Thanks Carguyjosh

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
carguyjosh, two different mechanics checked the battery and say its working fine do you mean the voltage leaving the battery and not getting where it should go

That sure is what it sounds like. if you turn on the headlights, what do they do? Do they also flash? From your description, it is classic symptoms of a lack of voltage...

Let me know.....Carguyjosh

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I had it towed to a second automotive shop today I think the lights were not working the mechanics said after running diagnostics that the car appears to be stuck in anti theft mode

I am truely at a loss without being able to get more info...It sounds to me like the shops that your car has been to are incompitent. There is no reason that if I had the car infront of me and was able to perform the needed tests that you wouldn't be back on the road already. I have to recommend (I guess) a GM dealer so that you can get this problem resolved...

Please let me know, if you'd like, I'll release your question to see if another expert can make heads or tails of the problem. I think what they'd find is the same roadblock that I am running into..

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
our GM dealer went out of business thanks anyways i give up
I recommend calling around to local shops are asking the question...Do you have a tech2 diagnostic scan tool....If you find a shop with this scan tool, they will have a tech capable of repairing your problem.....This is GM's factory tool. It is the only tool that I use on GM vehicle's and allows complete control of the computer's electronic systems....

Please, you did not need to hit accept...I feel awful that I can't give you more information and that you are going through this problem.

Please don't hesitate to ask me for anymore questions or for advise..let me know what you find as far as a capable shop and what there recommendations are...