Greg A
Greg A, Master Troubleshooter
Experience:  Working with Electronics & Cars for 25+ Years

1999 Buick Regal: Instrument panel lights..Examined fuses related

Customer Question

1999 Buick Regal. Instrument panel lights have failed. Examined fuses related and even those not related to lighting and have found no bad fuses. Is there a CB behind the headlight/interior light switch that can be reset.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Greg A replied 5 years ago.

Hello & Welcome,

What you were checking the fuse, did you use a multimeter to see if there was power at both sides of the fuse?

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No. I did a visual check of the fuse. It appeared solid.
Expert:  Greg A replied 5 years ago.

OK - Thanks.

Do you have a multimeter or test light that you can do some testing with?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes I do.
Expert:  Greg A replied 5 years ago.

OK - Good.

Let me grab some schematics & we can get started.

Back soon, Greg A.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK!
Expert:  Greg A replied 5 years ago.

OK - Sorry for the delay - I just had to find the right schematic.

This is the main one (there may be more to come) with some key elements highlighted.

graphic

What I would do first is turn on the parking lights and check some of the other lights listed in the schematic (heater controls, ashtray lamp, etc.) to see if they light up and can be dimmed from the control. This will tell us if we are at least getting power through the dimmer control switch. If you do not see these lights on, then use your test light or meter to check the Panel Dimming fuse for power at both side of the fuse.

Please let me know what you find & we can proceed as needed.

Thanks, XXXXX

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK! This is my daughters car and she said that the warning lights are working. She cannot see the speedometer,fuel gauge etc. at night. The gauges are working just unable to see them at night due to lack of sufficient lighting.
Expert:  Greg A replied 5 years ago.

That makes sense because the dimming of those instrument panel lights only takes place at night.

Do you have the car around now and can you do that testing? It still might be a little early in the day to see if the other lights (like the ashtray) are working.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Car will be here in about 5-10 minutes.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The car is here. I checked the Panel Dimming fuse with the ohm meter and found it to good. I also checked the overhead light to make sure it is working and it is.
Expert:  Greg A replied 5 years ago.

Did you find power at both sides of the fuse?

Do the other lights dim properly?

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I will check for power at the fuse block connection. Unable to check light dimming at this time due to bright arizona sunlight.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I checked voltage at fuse connection. 4.25V.
Expert:  Greg A replied 5 years ago.

Was that at the Panel Dimming fuse with the headlight switch turned on?

If so, that is not too good. It should be at least 12 volts.

If you can follow the schematic back, check at the Tail Lamps fuse and the Park LP fuse.

Just so you know, I will be going offline for a while, but will be back within an hour or two, at least that is the schedule.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I think I just found the problem. The tail lamp/lic lamp 15A fuse is blown. There must be a short in the tail lamp assembly. Would you agree. Looking at the schematic the power for the panel dimming comes through that circuit.
Expert:  Greg A replied 5 years ago.

There could be a short - or there was one. If you have the spare fuses, I would just replace the blown one and see what happens.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX

Greg A, Master Troubleshooter
Experience: Working with Electronics & Cars for 25+ Years
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did replace the fuse. It blew when I tried the lights. So there must be short. I will try to find the short. I am suspecting the short to be in the trunk area. The trunk opener is broken and I will have get the trunk open and repair that plastic part as well. Thanks.
Expert:  Greg A replied 5 years ago.

Sounds like a plan.

I will be offliine for a while now. Will check back later.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I will look later for your info. Thanks.
Expert:  Greg A replied 5 years ago.

Hi again,

I'm back. Did you get into the trunk area yet?

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm back again as well. I am in the trunk area. I have loosened the light assembly across the trunk lid. Have not found a shorted wire yet. Will now search the fender wells to see if those lights show any sign of broken insulation or grounding.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I found the shorted wire in trunk lid assembly and have repaired it. The systems are working good again. Thanks
Expert:  Greg A replied 5 years ago.

Hi again & thanks for the accept.

Good job in tracking down the problem. Please let me know if you need more help in the future.

Take Care, Greg A.