Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Buick Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

1997 buick lesabre custom: new starter, new battery..fuel filter..coil

Customer Question

I have a 1997 buick lasabre custom 3800 and i put in new starter, new battery. c-noid, fuel filter, fuel pump and 3 coil seem to be working. got fire on all plugs. All plugs gapped correctly. Dropped manifold and put back on after putting starter motor on. Did 10 minutes of 15 min. blue devil treatment for blown front head. White smoke stopped in about 5 min. And started it 2 times after still no smoke. I let it run and after about 10 it quit. I think I ran out of gas. So I put 5 gal in tank. Tried to start it again and it wouldn't start. My back yard neighbor mechanic had pulled the vacume lines without marking them I put them back with my best quess and now it won't start. I tried to find a pictIure of how they go back on. With no luck. It tried to start but backfired thru the exhaust. What could be the problem? And where can I find a picture of how the vacume lines go back on correctly?
Category: Buick
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 5 years ago.

Here is the vacuum hose diagram. Make sure everything is connected properly, then try to start the engine. Let me know what happens.

Object Number: 12847  Size: SH

(1)Intake Manifold
(2)To Vacuum Brake Booster
(3)To Accessory
(4)Throttle Body
(5)To Transaxle
(6)EVAP Canister
(7)To Fuel Tank
(8)To Vent Solenoid
(9)EVAP Service Port
(10)EVAP Canister Purge Valve
(11)Fuel Pressure Regulator
(12)PCV Valve

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have a curved black metal hose connector with 2 lines that my neighbor took off and never put back on and can't figure out where it goes.....so made my own lines.....can't figure out how it goes back on with the diagram that u sent....

would that keep it from firing up?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Do u have a better diagram ? I've tried the hoses different ways and it still won't fire up. It backfires....
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it's been 2 hrs...is anyone going to answer?
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 5 years ago.

Sorry for any delays, had family needs. If there are any open vacuum ports, this could cause the engine to run rough or idle high, but won't usually cause the car not to start. Will the engine start with starting fluid?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No the starting fluid didn't help. why would the car backfire thru the exhaust? could it have any thing to do with the plugs? Could it have jumped timing? I checked the # XXXXX and #5 cylinders after i changed the plugs and gapped them.

I'm sor

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 5 years ago.

The best thing to do at this point would be to perform a compression test on each cylinder. This will indicate if there are any mechanical problems like jumped timing, etc.

Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thank-u I will do that in the am. I will check that out then....will pay you....I am sorry....things are hard for everyone......appreiciate ur help......will keep in contact...thanks soooo much. I will let u know in the morning.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 5 years ago.
Looking forward to your response. I have church tomorrow, but will check in periodically throughout the day to see how you are doing.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

david iasked you last night about yhay metal vacum hose adaptor onyo which all the vacum lines connect the diagram you sent me did not show how it fit into the necessarry pattern were you able to find out htow it fits and might be the answer to my original problem. I will click the accept after you send the reply. as we all feed our families, even if your advice /diagram didn,t show me what i needed to connect it all back together fobi

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 5 years ago.
Will do some research and let you know tomorrow morning about the vacuum lines.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 5 years ago.

I have a much better illustration of the vacuum lines. I will scan it this evening and get it to you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
david this has been hecyic this weekend for me please send that "much better" illustration of the vacume lines this will most probably solve my problem. either way, solved or not. i need the illustration as to how to hook up those lines. after you send that to me i'll accept thanks for your help tobi
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 5 years ago.
graphic