Gary
Gary, Buick Technician
Experience:  15 years master GM tech and mater ASE tech
19513769

where is the egr valve located on a 1992 lesabre vin l engine?

Customer Question

Category: Buick
Expert:  Gary replied 5 years ago.
would love to help if i can..may i ask why you are changing it?it is located drivers side of engine rear of intake..doy uo have the new one yet?so you know what it looks like?let me know
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
there is nothing on the driverside rear intake.
Expert:  Gary replied 5 years ago.
do you have the new one?they will run a tube off of the exhaust manifold to the base of the EGR so if you can look at the exhaust manifolds and follow the metal tube?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
nothing there.
Expert:  Gary replied 5 years ago.
i am looking in alldata as we speak they do not show a picture of it..do you have the new egr valve ??and are you sure it is a 1992 lesabre with the 10th digit of the VIN is a 1 ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no i do not have a new valve yet waiting to find it. 10th diget is N
Expert:  Gary replied 5 years ago.
ok look at the front valve cover standing in front of the car..the front valve cover look all the way to your right untill the cover ends..right next to it is the EGR valve..it has a black plastic snap on cover hiding the top..let me know if you see it there..2 bolts on each side on the lower of the valve hold it down..let me know if you see it
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
NOTHING THERE. COULD IT BE UNDER THE PLENUM?
Expert:  Gary replied 5 years ago.
ok they do not list an N engine code for a 1992 lesabre..can you make sure on year make and model and the 10th diget again..i want to make sure to give you the correct information...
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

1992 BUICK LESABRE VIN# XXXXX

I CAN NOT FIND AN ENGINE NUMBER ANY WHERE ON THIS ENGINE, IN YOUR PRIOR REPLY YOU ASKED FOR THE TENTH NUMBER IN THE VIN.

Expert:  Gary replied 5 years ago.
ok under the hood there is a sticker that has some spec's on it if you can read the bottom of that sticker can you tell me if it says federal or california emissions.....als may i ask why you are going for the EGR valve?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

FEDERAL

I WAS TOLD THAT WAS THE PART I NEEDED BY LOCAL GARAGE, AN EASY FIX. HA HA

Expert:  Gary replied 5 years ago.
well looking into the EGR valve it looks like some did and some didnt have egr valves...did they say what the part was called?was it the egr valve?did it have a code in it?what was complaint of why you brought it to them?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
AFTER RUNNING AWHILE IT WOULD MISS AND STALL, IF YOU LET IT IDLE IT WOULD SOMETIMES CATCH UPAND RUN. NEW FUEL PUMP, ALT, PLUGS & WIRES.
Expert:  Gary replied 5 years ago.
ok according to all the info i have they did not use an egr valve for that car..they used a 3 way cat to clean up the emissions..so they didnt need an egr...is the check engine light on?did the garage say what part it needed?would help if we knew...
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
CHECK ENGINE LIGHT COMES ON ONCE IN AWHILE BUT GOES OUT, JUST SAID CHANGE EGR VALVE AND I COULD DO THAT MYSELF.
Expert:  Gary replied 5 years ago.
i would start with scanning the computer and see what code is in it..we realy need to start there or we will both be guessing and that costs money with tryme stuff we are here to save you money..if you could get it scanned and tell me the code we can more effectivly repair this car...let me know..hope its helping