Experience:  GM world class, ASE master tech w/ L1 advanced driveablity, 15yrs experance bumper to bumper

1998 buick regal k series engine (3800) coolant leak

1998 buick regal k series engine (3800) coolant leak from top of engine to the right side of alternator - if you are looking at the enginf from the passenger side of the engine well.
The leak could be comming from the intake manifold gasket or the belt tensioner. The belt tensioner has a coolant line going thru it, there are two plastic pipes comming from the front of the engine going to the tensioner and going into the 2 heater hoses. The most likely area is the intake manifold. Remove the engine cover and look around the area just below the alternator between the valve cover and the plastic upper intake. The gasket will leal in this area.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have read in other reports about leakes in the "plastic"? intake area. I do not appear to have water in the pistons, just running down the pully side of the engine. Would the intake leaks be ing the same area as this one I am discribing?
No the plastic part of the intake will leak internal to the engine, you would not see any leaks. If you do have to replace the intake gaskets, you should have the plastic plentium replaced if you havent done so in the last 60k miles. You have to remove this part to replace the lower intake gaskets, so you would just pay extra for the part only.