MPMoore
MPMoore, ASE MASTER W/L1 GM WORLD CLASS TECH
Experience:  GM world class, ASE master tech w/ L1 advanced driveablity, 15yrs experance bumper to bumper
4232346

2005 Buick Rainer CXL with air ride suspension. Air leaking

2005 Buick Rainer CXL with air ride suspension. Air leaking out overnite, sometimes within an hour, sometimes not at all. Pumps back up after start up. Very intermitten problem. Cannot find an air leak.
Category: Buick
Expert:  MPMoore replied 5 years ago.
The most common area for leaks on this system are the air bags. Try again to spray soapy water on them and look real close, they get pin holes in them and are hard to find. The air bags are easy to replace and are not that expensive. It also could be the air pump, dont see much failures in them unless the pump is over worked from a leaking air bag. The exhaust port is in the pump, can not be serived, you have to replace the whole pump assembly which is expensive.

Air Spring Replacement

Removal Procedure

Object Number: 746660  Size: SH

Caution: A sudden release of pressure may cause personal injury or damage to the vehicle. The air suspension system is under pressure until the air supply lines are disconnected. Use the following precautions when servicing the air suspension system:

Wear gloves, ear protection, and eye protection.
Wrap a clean cloth around the air supply lines.

1. Depressurize the air suspension system. Refer to Air Suspension Depressurization .
  2. Important: Remove the air suspension system fuse before working on the rear suspension components or the rear axle. Failure to remove the air suspension system fuse could cause the calibration of the air suspension leveling sensor to change and the air suspension system not to function properly.

3. Remove the air suspension system fuse.
  4. Important: There is a raised feature on the outer rim of the air spring top plate that denotes the anti rotation peg position.

5. Depress the anti rotation peg (2) in the air spring top plate located in the upper spring seat.
  6. With the anti rotation peg (2) depressed, rotate the air spring counterclockwise and remove the air spring from the upper spring seat.

7. Object Number: 746659  Size: SH

Experience: GM world class, ASE master tech w/ L1 advanced driveablity, 15yrs experance bumper to bumper
Expert:  MPMoore replied 5 years ago.
Soory I got cut off.

1. Disconnect the air supply line from the air spring in the following way:
  2. Push the air supply line into the air spring connection and hold in place.
    Depress and hold the air supply line collet (2) down.
    Remove the air supply line (1) from the air spring.

Object Number: 731564  Size: SH

1. Remove the air spring from the vehicle.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 746803  Size: SH

1. Install the air supply line to the air spring. Ensure the air supply line is fully seated.

2. Object Number: 746797  Size: SH

Caution: Ensure that the air spring is fully seated and properly positioned on the axle pilot. Failure to properly position the air spring may cause the air spring to break apart, possibly resulting in personal injury or damage to the vehicle.

1. Install the air spring (2) to the frame by aligning the mounting tabs (3) with the keyhole slots (1) in the upper spring seat.
  2. Apply upward pressure to the air spring (2) and rotate clockwise until the anti rotation peg snaps into place.
  3. Important: After the air suspension has been depressurized, DO NOT allow the vehicle to be completely lowered onto the rear jounce bumpers.

4. Lower the vehicle slightly below the correct D-height position.
  5. Install the air suspension system fuse.
  6. Turn ON the ignition, engine OFF. Allow the air suspension compressor to run for approximately 1 minute to ensure that the air suspension is functioning properly.
  7. Important: When the air springs are completely deflated, an additional ignition cycle may be required to allow the compressor to completely inflate the air springs.

8. Inspect the D height. Refer to Trim Height Inspection