John, Buick Master Technician
Experience:  ASE A1-A8 w/L1 GM master technician.Factory certified with 40 years experience.
6408229

Buick's Driver Blend Door Actuator Not Working.

Customer Question

I have a 1997 Buick Park Ave, the dual climate control is blowing warm/hot on driver side and freezing cold on the passenger side.

I tried taking off the driver side blend door actuator and moving by hand, but that didn't help. Its hot outside and I need the driver side to be as cold as the passenger side.

What is the problem and what is the repair?

Category: Buick
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

If you have removed the driver’s side temperature actuator and moved the door manually with no temperature change, it is very possible the door is broken inside the case.

Make sure the freon level is full.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

When I move the door the temp will go hotter/ heater, but when turned back to cold side it go to a warm air not cold. I have seven ASE certs. All the actuators are working. I haven't removed cabin filter though, I was going to try it. I found a few leafs in the blower motor. I only see four door actuators in my Auto program.

Is there a divider I am missing?

Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

I am glad you have your ASE certs, I have 40 year of GM classes/over 230 GM certifications and 15 ASE certs.

There could be leaves inside keeping the door from sealing off the heat.

Are you sure the blend door on the driver’s side is moving to full cold?

Are you sure the A/C system is completely charged?

When you tell me the driver’s side is warm – 85 degrees is warm – 120 degrees can be considered warm. Some people will say 60 is warm. If you are going to repair this – the proper information and accuracy is needed.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I did not remove the unit from under the dash, but when I moved the door by hand, I would have to say that yes it was moving all the way. You can hear it hit, it sounded as though it was moving properly. Yes, the system is full charged, it is very cold on pass side (35-40 f) I did forget to tell you that the passenger side will not go to heat/hot by the passenger side controller on the dash, but cold is what I'm looking for, temp outside is (90 f +). When I say warm on the driver’s side, we're talking ( 75-80 f).

Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

Ok get two pair of vice clamps and clamp off the heater hoses. Not too tight to damage hoses just enough to stop flow. You may need to let the engine cool a bit. Start it back up and see what you got.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'll give it a shot, thanks for your time.
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

Okay, you are welcome.