John, Buick Master Technician
Experience:  ASE A1-A8 w/L1 GM master technician.Factory certified with 40 years experience.

97 buick: pass side..the driver side blend door actuator and moving

Customer Question

I have a 97 buick park ave, the dual climate control is blowing warm/hot on driver side, and freezing cold on pass side. I tried taking off the driver side blend door actuator and moving by hand, didn't help. It's hot out side and I need the driver side to be as cold as pass side. what is the problem, and what is the repair.?
Category: Buick
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

HelloCustomer

If you have removed the drivers side temperature actuator & moved the door manually with no temperature change,it is very possible the door is broken inside the case.Make sure the freon level is full.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
When I move the door the temp will go hotter/ heater, but when turned back to cold side it go to a warm air not cold. I have seven ASE certs. All the actuators are working. I haven't removed cabin filter though, I was going to try it. I found a few leafs in the blower motor. I only see four door actuators in my Auto program. Is there a divider I missing ?
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

I am glad you have your ASE certs ,I have 40 year of GM classes/over 230 GM certifications & 15 ASE certs do I get a brownie button?

There could be leaves inside keeping the door from sealing off the heat.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

John with so much training behind you, I would expect a more detailed answer, than "do I get a brownie button". If you know what is causing the trouble, Please help me, if not I guess all the certifications in the world don't matter.

Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

OK,are you sure the blend door on the drivers side is moving to full cold ?

Are you sure the ac system is completely charged ?

When you tell me the drivers side is warm.....85 degrees is warm ,120 degrees can be considered warm,some people will say 60 is warm.if you are going to repair this proper information & accuracy is needed.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I did not remove the unit from under the dash, but when I moved the door by hand, I would have to say that yes it was moving all the way. You can hear it hit, it sounded as though it was moving properly. Yes, the system is full charged, it is very cold on pass side (35-40 f) I did for get to tell you that the passenger side will not go to heat/hot by the pass side controller on dash, but cold is what I'm looking for, temp outside is (90 f +). When I say warm on the drivers side, we're talkin ( 75-80 f) .
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Ok get 2 pair of vice clamps & clamp off the heater hoses.Not too tight to damage hoses just enough to stop flow.You may need to let the engine cool a bit.Start it back up & see what you got.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'll give it a shot, thanks for your time.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
OK