Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Replace the serpentine belt on my 2000 Buick Century, Custom 3.1?

How do I replace the serpentine belt on my 2000 Buick Century, Custom 3.1?
Category: Buick
Expert:  Eric replied 7 years ago.

Below are directions :

• Remove the drive belt shield.
  • Fit a 3 / 8 inch breaker bar or ratchet to the square hole in the tensioner. Lift, or rotate the tensioner off of the drive belt. When the tension on the belt is removed, slide the drive belt from the pulleys.
  •  

To install:

1. Taking care to follow the proper routing of the belt, slip the belt onto the pulleys. As a help, note that the water pump pulley is usually driven from the back (smooth side) of the belt.
    2. Fit a 3 / 8 -inch breaker bar or ratchet to the square hole in the tensioner. Lift, or rotate the tensioner and, with the belt in place, gently release the tensioner.
    3. Verify that the belt is correctly routed and aligned in the proper grooves of the accessory drive belt pulleys. Inspect the drive belt length scale on the drive belt tensioner for the proper indicated length. If the drive belt length scale does not indicate the proper installed length, the belt may be incorrect, incorrectly installed, worn out or the tensioner may be defective.

graphic