Pete, Buick Technician
Experience:  17 years Buick Technician experience and training.
14928985

service engine soon light is on. Buick 2000 Century

Customer Question

Category: Buick
Expert:  Pete replied 7 years ago.
hello,have you had your car scanned for codes?How is your car running and shifting?Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No it has not been scanned. I have made an appointment to just that Wednesday. Seems to be
shifting fine its and automatic with gear shift on the steering wheel. It is running the same as
always.

Thanks
-Frank
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
You really didn't tell me anything? I knew about the codes.
Expert:  JKuhns replied 7 years ago.
Hi, I'm James. The first step is to retrieve codes with scan tool. Otherwise, we have no way of knowing what is wrong. There are a few hundred different codes for many different components. One likely possibility, since car is running OK, is a problem with the Evap system. This is the fuel tank, fuel vapor canister & all vent lines & control solenoids.
Expert:  Pete replied 7 years ago.
without knowing what code(s) have set its hard to say exactly what is going on.Its good that its running and shifting ok.Some of the common failures could be possibly that your gas cap may have been left loose at one point setting an Evap code,if this is the case and the cap is tight now then the code would just have to be cleared.It could have a stuck evap vent valve,which I have sen and replaced before on this model.Another failure that can cause this light to come on also is possibly your egr feedbackl signal to the computer is wrong(if its a 3.1 liter engine) and if this is the failure there is a computer reprogram to eliminate the false feedback signal from the egr valve.These are some of the common failures I have seeen before but not limited to these failures,it could be something else that has turned this light on.Once your car is scanned for codes then it can be further diagnosed from there.I hope this helped,Thanks Pete
Pete, Buick Technician
Experience: 17 years Buick Technician experience and training.