Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech. 30+ years mechanic, shop forman, service manager
2947720

2002 Buick Lesabre: cyl..serviced..low antifreeze in coolant bottle

My 2002 Buick Lesabre 6 cyl was serviced to check out low antifreeze in coolant bottle at which time Tech stated I needed an engine mount that was broke and to flush antifreeze.He stated that engine mount being broken was moving engine and that over time some coolant was being lost due to movement, he believed.I never seen any coolant under car or in engine.I had these repairs done,but they failed to put on radiator cap.My car overheated later that day while on the highway,that is when I noticed the cap was off radiator.A Road Ranger put in a substantial amount of water in radiator.I then took my car back to repair station to be checked again.Tech now stated I needed a head gasket.I told him could that have been caused by their failure to put on radiator cap on radiator and engine overheating ?He stated no it was seen in alot in Buick's that year.Could head gasket repair be caused by their negilgence of no radiator cap?My car always ran fine prior to this repair.My cost was $835.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Jerry replied 7 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

Yes the head gasket was most likely blown by not having the cap on and the engine overheating. There were not many of those engines in that year that needed had gaskets for no aparant reason. There were some that needed intake gaskets, which may have been the original coolant loss that you were experiencing. However, there is no way that the engine could have been loosing coolant from a bad motor mount.

I would advise not having any work done by that mechanic and having an unbiased shop check it out, as the head(s) could have been cracked from the overheating.

You also would want to have the responsible party, (that left the cap off) pay for any repairs that were incured by their mistake. You may have to take legal action, in which case then I would advise that you also, request the original $835 back at that time.

Sorry if I seem a little crude, but it just makes me so angry when someone tries to gain from their own mistake and take people's money with no regard to them.