GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Buick Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
10949255

Brakes squeak, Front brakes were just replaced and the rear brakes

Brakes squeak, Front brakes were just replaced and the rear brakes show little wear I checked them myself
Welcome. What model is your Buick?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I know you want to get paid,

It's a 2000 Buick Century, Tires were rotated, front disk brakes replaced in the last month, when I checked the rear pads with the new ones I was going to use I found maybe a 16th of an inch or less wear on them, so I did not replaced them. The drums on the outside seemed to have a lot of corrosion but still seemed sound. Clean on the inside, No excessive dust. No notable corrosion on the front disk brakes, Rotors showed some light wear but still within acceptable limits and were smooth with no grooves. The car does have over 120,000 miles on it.

Ok, the corrosion on the rear rotors can easily cause the noise. I would start by machine the rear rotor (or replacing if they are just as cheap). Also, did you use brake hardware lube on all the contact points between the pads and the caliper and bracket on the front?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I did not make myself clear. I have drum brakes in the rear not disk and the corrosion is on the outside of the drum, the inside seems clean other than light pad dust. I did not do the front brakes they were done at a shop, so I would hope they did it right.
OK, sorry, did you clean the dust out or did the shop? The rust on the outside is normal. Also, what brand of pads were used?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

As I was not there, I have no idea of the brand or type of front disk pads used. I didn’t do the rear, and the owner does not recall when or who last did the rear, Ya I know sounds odd. I do know some metallic pads do tend to squeak, I wondering if those were the type used, would I be able to tell just by looking and what would I be looking for? I did clean out what dust I saw. I didn’t do any lubing. I just inspected them to see if they did need changing. And judging from what little wear I saw they didn’t.

OK, the lubing could be part of it, and if there were cheap pads used, that would cause this as well. I doubt you could tell by looking at the pads unless you could get a brand off them.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What sort of lube would I be needing and would I need different lunes for front disks and the rear drums
There is a silicone brake lube in a tube special fro brake and the high temps. Any part store should have it.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
OK I'l try that, Thanks for your time, I am pressing the Accept button now.
Thank you. Please reply if you need more information