GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Buick Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
10949255

2000 buick regal. engine turns over, clicks, but wont start.

2000 buick regal. engine turns over, clicks, but won't start. sometimes will start, but when driving it engine stops. won't start. battery replaced, neutral sensing switch replaced. Locksmith examined lock mechanism, could find nothing wrong. problem started when occasionally key could not be removed from ignition, went far enough to turn off engine, not far enough to be removed.
Category: Buick
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 7 years ago.

Welcome. I think you may more that one issue. You say the key at times will not turn to the full off position and you cannot remove the key. This sounds like ignition interlock system. Do you have the shifter in the column or the console?

As for the starting issue, at times you only hear a click? Where do you hear the click from?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

the key removal problem seems to have gone away. Shifter is in console. Before solve d, it could only be removed by jiggling the shifter and turning the wheel.

When key is turned to start engine, speedometer dial lights up, engine does not turn over. If turn signal lever is to left or right, entire dash board blinks on and off with the turn signals. clicking is the relay for turn signal lights.

Ok does the engine start if you bring the shifter to the neutral position?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
shift lever cannot be moved out of park. I know you have to step on the brake, which I do but it will not move out of park.
Ok, this is starting to sound like a problem with the mode switch on the transmission. IT acts as the neutral safety switch and will stop the engine from cranking. What I suggest you do is set the park brake, open the hood and disconnect the shift cable from the transmission. Move the lever on the transmission 2 detentes to the neutral position and see if the engine will start. Make sure you set the brakes.