Greg A
Greg A, Master Troubleshooter
Experience:  Working with Electronics & Cars for 25+ Years
5229702

Interior lights wont turn off.

Interior lights won't turn off.

Hello & Welcome,

Can you tell us the Year, Make, and Model of your vehicle?

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Its a 1995 Buick Regal GS and its the Illuminated entry lights that won't turn off.

OK - Thanks.

Do ANY light change (turn on or off) when you open and close the doors?

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The lights stay on when you close the door. When you start the car the lights are supposed to turn off but they stay on.

OK - Thanks.

Let's start with the basics. You should have a dimmer wheel, next to the headlight switch, as shown below.

graphic

When you turn that wheel from full off (or Low) to full on (HI), does it feel like the wheel is moving smoothly, and do the instrument panel lights change in level?

Thanks, XXXXX

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes, the dash lights dim, but the map lights and dome light still stay on.

Hmm - Interesting.

Can I assume you have pressed the "button" on these lights to make sure they were not manually switched on?

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes. I also checked the fuse. I had to pull it out so the lights would turn off.

Can you tell me which fuse you pulled out (which fuse box it was in and what the label is)?

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Its #28 Labeled CTSY LAMPS- Vanity mirrors, I/P Courtesy Lamps, I/P Compartment Lamp, Header Courtesy and Reading Lamp, I/S Lighted Rearview Mirrow, Dome and Reading Lamp. This fuse panel is on the right side of the dash when you open the pass. door.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Any ideas?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I'll check my email in the morning. Let me know if you can help me more.

Thanks, Mike

Hi again,

I have to leave the computer for a little while, but I am starting to suspect either the internal part of the dimmer switch, which feeds the ground side of all those lights, or a short to ground in the wiring. Here are the schematics, if that helps.

graphic

graphic

What I would do is get to the back of that switch and pull off Pin B (the white wire) and see if the lights go off.

Thanks, XXXXX