George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master 15+years

I have a 1997 buick lesabre custom with a cigarette lighter

Customer Question

I have a 1997 buick lesabre custom with a cigarette lighter in the ashtray that pulls out of the lower part of the dashboard. It is not working and I am trying to figure out how to remove the old lighter and install a new one. I use the lighter as my poer source for charging cell phones and using a gps
Category: Buick
Expert:  George H. replied 7 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

First the TSB

File In Section: 08 - Body and Accessories

Bulletin No.: 99-08-45-005

Date: November, 1999

Accessory Receptacle/Cigar Lighter is Inoperative (Check Aftermarket Device Plug for Short to Ground)

1995-2000 Passenger Cars and Trucks

Some customers may comment that the cigar lighter or the accessory receptacle is inoperative; or that the internal fuse (within the plug on an aftermarket device), blows intermittently.

Certain aftermarket devices have a newly designed power plug with an internal mini fuse. The mini fuse may have an external terminal (which may be used to externally check the fuse). If the mini fuse external test terminal is not recessed into the mini fuse body, it may come in contact with the shell of the vehicle receptacle and cause the fuse (of either the vehicle or the aftermarket device), to blow intermittently.

Test the aftermarket device plug for short to ground. The following step may be performed at the customer's expense. As this is not a defect in material, design or workmanship of the vehicle, it would be the owner's responsibility.

1.Place a piece of tape over the mini fuse terminal temporarily.

2.Explain to the customer that the fuse for the device must have no exposed terminals, and that finding one would be his responsibility.

3.Refer the customer to the manufacturer of the aftermarket device for a new plug.

If your adapter is OK maybe the fuse is blown? It is the blue 15A fuse in the underdash panel in location 9B

If you need to remove the lighter assembly it self the IP knee bolster shown in #4 will have to be removed

If the fuse is blown it is likely one of your adapters is shorting in the socket