MPMoore
MPMoore, ASE MASTER W/L1 GM WORLD CLASS TECH
Experience:  GM world class, ASE master tech w/ L1 advanced driveablity, 15yrs experance bumper to bumper
4232346

BUICK CENTURY: SWITCHES..ONE VENT GIVES ME HOT AIR AND THE OTHER

I HAVE A BUICK CENTURY 2001 AND ONE DAY WHILE I WAS SWITCHING THE SETTING FROM HOT TO COLD, ONE OF THE TOP OF THE SWITCHES CAME OFF, SO WHILE I TRIED TO PUT IT BACK IN I PRESSED IT SO HARD THAT SOMETHING INSIDE BROKE OR CAME LOOSE. I JUST WANT TO KNOW IF I BURNED A FUSE OR CABLE OR WHAT HAPPENED BECAUSE EVERYTIME I TURN THE THING ON, ONE VENT GIVES ME HOT AIR AND THE OTHER COLD..
Category: Buick
Expert:  MPMoore replied 8 years ago.
Does the car have automatic air or is the temp set manually with a knob?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
IT IS SET AUTOMATICALLY WITH THE KNOB, YES.
Expert:  MPMoore replied 8 years ago.
The problem may be related to what you have done with the controller. If you are unable to set the temp on one side, this can be caused by a bad contrller. It may also be caused by a bad actuator. There are 2 eletric actuators under the dash. If one goes bad, it will not chage temps for that side of the dash. Can you control one side temp but not the other? What button is broken on the contrller?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
ITS THE ONE THAT REGULATES THE COLD AND THE HOT AND THE ONE I BROKE WAS THE DRIVERS SIDE. WHETER I PUT IT UP OR DOWN , NOTHING SEEMS TO CHANGE THE TEMPERATURE IT STAYED STUCK IN THE COLD. I HAVE NO CLUE AS TO WHAT AN ELECTRIC ACTUATOR IS IT A FUSE, CABLE OR WHAT?
Expert:  MPMoore replied 8 years ago.
The actuator is a small eletrical motor that moves the temp door inside of the heater box(havc case). This system does not use cables and if a fuse was bad, the system would not work on or change temps on the passengers side. There is a fuse for "hvac" on the fuse panel on the dash.you may check that fuse but it sounds like you have a problem witht the controller or the actuator. The most common problem would be the actuator but since you have damaged the controller, It can not be ruled out.
The actuator for the drivers side is located under the dash on the drivers side, removed the lower hush panel above where your feet would go, and the panel just below the steering wheel. you should be able to see a square like box that has one wiring harness with 5 wires going to it. It will be mounted to the hvac box with tree small screws. The actuator is easy to replace. the contoller comes off by removing the plastic trim around it, then the controller is held in with a few scews. There is no test you can do at home to diagnose which componet is bad, you may have your local dealer perform a test to find out which one is bad, but they will tell you that since the controller is damaged, thay will have to replace it to ensure it has proper operation.