Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.

How do I replace a heater core on a 1996 Buick Skylark?

Category: Buick
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

The heater core is located behind the instrument panel. If yours has a center console, you will need to remove it.

Heater core:

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Drain and recycle the engine coolant.

3. Raise and safely support the front of the vehicle.

4. If necessary, remove the rear lateral transaxle strut mount.

5. Detach the drain tube, then disconnect the heater hoses from the core tubes.

6. Carefully lower the vehicle.

7. Remove the console if equipped.

8. Unfasten and remove the sound insulators, console extensions and/or steering column filler, as required.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 1: Unfasten the sound insulator retaining bolts ...

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 2: ... then remove the sound insulator

1. On some models it may be necessary to remove the steering column opening filler.

2. Remove the floor or console outlet ductwork and hoses.

3. Remove the heater core access cover.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 3: Remove the heater core access cover

1. Unfasten the heater core mounting clamps/bolts, then extract the heater core from the vehicle.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 4: Unfasten the heater core retaining bolts; most later models are secured with clamps

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 5: Remove the heater core from the vehicle

To install:

1. Install the heater core, then secure using the clamps/bolts.

2. Fasten the heater core cover.

3. Connect the outlet hoses and ducts.

4. Install the sound insulators, console extensions and/or steering column filler.

5. Raise and safely support the vehicle.

6. Install the drain tube and connect the heater hoses to the core tubes.

7. If removed, install the rear lateral transaxle strut mount, if removed.

8. Carefully lower the vehicle.

9. Connect the negative battery cable.

10. Fill cooling system and check for leaks. Start the engine and allow to come to normal operating temperature. Recheck for leaks and check coolant level. Add if necessary.

Center console:

See Figures 6, 7 and 8

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 6: On manual transaxle-equipped vehicles, the shift knob is threaded onto the lever; turn it counterclockwise for removal

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 7: The shift knob is secured to the lever with a U-shaped retainer

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 8: Common console mounting detail

1. Apply the parking brake, and place blocks of wood on the sides of the drive wheels to prevent the vehicle from moving.

2. Move the shift lever to the neutral position.

3. Disconnect the negative battery cable for safety purposes.

4. Using a suitable tool, remove the shift knob retainer from the slot in the lower portion of the knob. If equipped, unplug the electrical connector at the base of the shifter, under the boot, and remove the shift knob.

5. Remove the console trim plate by pulling upward gently to disengage the retaining clips. Unplug the electrical connectors and set the trim plate aside.

6. Remove the fasteners that retain the console.

7. Carefully lift the console enough to access the electrical connections. Unplug the electrical connections, and remove the console from the vehicle.

To install:

1. Carefully position the console, and plug in the wire connectors.

2. Install the fasteners that retain the console.

3. Position the trim plate over the console, and plug in the wire connectors. If the shift knob is equipped with an overdrive switch, plug in the electrical connector, then snap the trim plate in place.

4. Place the shift knob onto the lever, and install the retainer.

5. Connect the negative battery cable.

6. Before driving the vehicle, remove the wood blocks securing the drive wheels.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.