GMTechBernard
GMTechBernard, Shop Foreman
Experience:  GM
6758627

My radio (I had a dead battery and do not know the code)

Customer Question

I need help getting the the "loc" code to go out on my radio (I had a dead battery and do not know the code).
Category: Buick
Expert:  GMTechBernard replied 5 years ago.

Hello! The procedure requires two steps.

1st step, retrieve the 6-digit code from the radio. This is done by pressing and holding buttons 2 & 3 simultaneously until a 3-digit code appears on the radio display. Write that down and it will change to another 3-digit code, for 6 digits total. Post up what the 6 digits are. I have to contact GM with that code to retrieve the unlock code.

2nd step. Once you post the 6-digits and I retreive your unlock code, you will need to use the HR (hours) button to enter the first two digits of the number and the MN (minutes) button to enter the last two digits and once the code is in, hit AM/FM to enter it and it should unlock.

So all I need you to do now, is perform step 1 and post them here, so that I can retrieve your unlock code. Thanks!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
tried the 2 and 3 still reads "loc"
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
are you still there?
Are you pressing and HOLDING the 2 & 3? If you hold it, sometimes up to 30 seconds, it should display a number. If that still doesn't work, try 2 & 4
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok be right back
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
still nothing.......even tried both combos twice
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
any ideas or do i need to go to the dealer?
The procedure is the same for many models, but to be sure, let me get the year/make/model of your car.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

2001 Buck LeSabre Custom radio code is UPO

Are you sure this is the stock radio and all that happened was the battery went dead? On 2001 LeSabre's, the vehicles VIN number is XXXXX into the radio. This was done so that the radio wouldn't lock up everytime the battery was drained or disconnected. When the system is powered back up, the radio compares its programmed VIN to the vehicles VIN and if they match, will allow for radio operation. If they don't match, the radio goes into "LOC" mode. It is not common (I won't say impossible) for a radio to loose its VIN with just a dead battery, but if that is indeed the case, then it MUST go to the dealer, since it requires the factory scantool (Tech2) to program the VIN into the radio.

I'm sorry I made you do all that other stuff. When you stated the radio "LOC"ed after the battery went dead, I assumed you had the older Delphi Theftlock radio, since they are the only ones effected by battery disconnects.

GMTechBernard, Shop Foreman
Experience: GM
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I will bring it to my dealer for sure Monday morning. I accepted your response so you can get paid for your time. thanks for trying (maybe something wrong with the radio, or worse). Thanks again for the try.

-Dan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks again
Thank you for the accept and good luck! The procedure with the scantool only takes a few minutes, so they may charge you the mininum diagnostic fee (whatever that is), but definitely don't let them charge you an hour labor (unless there really is something wrong that needs diagnosed)!