Pete, Buick Technician
Experience:  17 years Buick Technician experience and training.
14928985

1995 BUICK ROADMASTER: COOLING SYSTEM..LOCKS..CYLINDER..HEATER CORE

1995 BUICK ROADMASTER COOLING SYSTEM AIR LOCKS AND LOSES HEAT WHILE DRIVING. EVERYTHING HAS BEEN CHECKEDE INCLUDING CYLINDER HEADS REMOVED AND CHECKED FOR CRACKS. STARTED WITH HEATER CORE, REPLACED RADIATOR, REPLACED WATERPUMP/THERMOSTAT ETC, CHECKED FOR CO2 IN COOLING SYSTEM, PULLED ALL AND REPLACED SOME OF THE HOSES. AFTER PUTTING EVERYTHING BACK TOGETHER, STILL HAS THE SAME PROBLEM. WE QUESTION WHETHER OR NOT THE ENGINE BLOCK MIGHT BE CRACKED?
Category: Buick
Expert:  Pete replied 7 years ago.
HelloCustomerhave you tried using a block tester and seen if your engine failed the test?Does your car overheat?Does the coolant overflow or smell like exhaust?Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Not being a machine shop, I am not familiar with a block tester, We have tried to keep the car from getting to the point of overheating but it does air lock and lower hose does get cold. When idling the car cools fine and heat works great but when you drive just around the block that's when everything changes. No smell of exhaust no significant signs of co2 in cooling system.

thanks Al

Expert:  Pete replied 7 years ago.
Best thing to do from here is to have your car checked with a block tester to see if any compression or exhaust is getting into your cooling system,and if they are since your heads have been checked (a machine shop would be the best way to test your heads to make sure there is no fault within the heads)this would more then likely leave your engine block at fault.Also make sure your engine drive belt is on properly.I would say by the description of this problem either something was missed with the heads when the were tested or the engine has cracked,youve basically covered everything else to this point.I hope this has helped.