Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a 2010 mercury 150hp optimax. I had the service

Customer Question

I have a 2010 mercury 150hp optimax. I had the service department change the oil and took my boat out and now have the 4 beep alarm go off every 2 min. Can I reset this myself
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: I have a 2010 mercury 150hp optimax. I had the service department change the oil and took my boat out and now have the 4 beep alarm go off every 2 min. Can I reset this myself
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: No
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 8 days ago.

Good morning, my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? An Optimax engines is a 2 stroke engine and there is no oil to change on a 2 stroke engine. What do you mean by you had the service department "Change" the oil?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Well, they changed my filters and lubed everything. I have a big oil tank that connects to the motor and have a small oil tank on the motor. I suspect that there is a float in the tank that triggers the alarm when you are low on oil. I assume that it is stuck or that the low oil beeping needs to be reset somehow.
Expert:  Jason replied 8 days ago.

Got it. Are you near the outboard now?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
In about 15 min. I'm driving to the marina where it is docked.
Expert:  Jason replied 8 days ago.

Okay let me know when you get there.

Expert:  Jason replied 8 days ago.

At you still here?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I'm on the boat now
Expert:  Jason replied 8 days ago.

If you check the engine mounted oil tank is that oil tank full to the very top, or is it low?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Both are full
Expert:  Jason replied 8 days ago.

Do you have a paperclip?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
No.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Why
Expert:  Jason replied 8 days ago.

For a test. Okay no problem, I will explain both possibilities.

Expert:  Jason replied 8 days ago.

The 4 beep alarm happens for 3 reasons.

1. If the engine mounted oil tank is low.

2. If the engine mounted oil tank thinks it's low because of a waterlogged float.

3. The water in the fuel sensor, which is located in the vapor separating tank, is detecting water in the fuel.

The oil tank is full so that takes that one of the list.

The next thing is a bad oil tank itself. Inside of the oil tank there is magnetic float. The oil sensor in the tank is looking for the position of this float. What happens with all of the tanks is the floats become waterlogged with oil. This happens on all optimax engines. When this happens the fix is to replace the oil tank. The test for this is to simply unplug the oil sensor from the oil tank, and then take the 2 wires that go to that sensor and jump them together with a paperclip or a piece of scrap wire. If the alarm stops, the oil tank is confirmed bad. If the alarm continues, then there is water in the fuel, and the water sensor is what is sounding that 4 beep alarm. From here you would drain the vapor separating tank out and change the water filter on it. Does that all make sense.

Expert:  Jason replied 8 days ago.

That is where you stand on your end and what the problem is. I think that should do it but I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Please note that our question sessions never close out, so if you need to come back later down the road with follow up questions to the issue, you can do so at any time, even after putting through a rating.

Thanks in advance, and good luck
Jason

Expert:  Jason replied 8 days ago.

It looks like you read my answer without replying back, selecting a rating for my service, or saying thank you. Was there anything else?