Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I have a 50hp mercury outboard I want to bypass the oil

Customer Question

I have a 50hp mercury outboard I want to bypass the oil injection system will this affect the computer the motors a 2002
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: The guy I bought the boat from tried bypassing the oil injection system and when I go run it it starts off good then backs off like it goes into a limp mode
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Expert:  Charles replied 1 month ago.

Would you please post the serial number of the engine?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ot681077
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No thanks would rather have it in writing so I don't forget
Expert:  Charles replied 1 month ago.

Ok, I have your engine pulled up.

There is no computer on this engine, only CDM's that are for the spark. You do have a overpseed module to slow the engine is it is going too fast. There may also be a warning module on it for the oil injection and overheat.

Expert:  Charles replied 1 month ago.

How are you trying to bypass the injection?

this system is actually pretty reliable and rarely fails. May I ask why you wish to bypass it?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I bought the boat that way I want to put it back but I have a full tank of pre mixed fuel
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The guy said it started doing this after he unplugged the oil injection
Expert:  Charles replied 1 month ago.

You can still install the oil injection back, it would just be a bit smokey while you go through this tank. It would be like doing break in oil again.

How did the pump get bypassed, and has it been run dry or not?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm not really sure I was planning on looking at it tomorrow
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Just got it 2 days ago
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't think it was run dry the guy said he was told to bypass it because of the horror stories of blowing motors
Expert:  Charles replied 1 month ago.

If the pump has been run dry, it should be replaced. If the alarm sounds when the tank is connected, it is just a bad oil tank and it will need to be replaced.

The engine slowing down right now, may actually be that it is getting hot. Do you know when the last time a water pump impeller was installed?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No im planning on replacing it but does seem to be pissing ok
Expert:  Charles replied 1 month ago.

I would look to doing parts 4 and 18 for the oil injection. Along with the water pump. Also make sure that the warning horn is working. You can unplug the overheat sensor, and then ground out the harness side of that plug. With the key on, you should hear the alarm sound.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/MercuryMarine/0T681077/3373/110/Oil%20Injection%20Components/parts.html

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Will do thanks for the help
Expert:  Charles replied 1 month ago.

Your very welcome. If you have any other questions on the engine, please feel free to ask.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Will do
Expert:  Charles replied 1 month ago.

Thanks